Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why are things like baja shelf considered "premium features"

1. Back To Top    #1

Why are things like baja shelf considered "premium features"

I've been talking to a number of pool builders. When I tell them I want a baja shelf, several have indicated that it is a "premium feature".

I don't understand the logic: Grading doesn't need to do extra work. Rebar doesn't need to do extra work. Shotcrete/Gunite may have to do a tiny bit of extra work to be careful about making sure it's leveled properly. Plaster same thing.

The amount of incremental work for this is minimal.

Is this just a way for PB's to justify an increase in price or am I missing something?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why are things like baja shelf considered "premium featu

Just a way to make extra money is my guess.

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know the definitive answer but can tell you that my baja shelf and steps took quite a bit longer to shape. That area of my pool was never itemized though it was lumped under the pool cost so I never saw how much it actually cost me.
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

4. Back To Top    #4

Seems like all the cool stuff is extra - tanning ledge, benches, water features, LED lights, better tile, stone, plaster, snazzy controllers - every time you turn around it's another upgrade! They know you want it so they charge more.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill