Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice on what to buy

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advice on what to buy

hi all,

the pool is being replastered (just white plastered), and i opted to have the company do the startup.
    i'm cleaning out my de filter in the meantime. keep in mind I'm starting brand new with nothing.

what chemicals should i buy ahead of time knowing that i'll have to balance?
    from reading the pool school, bbb, and other articles it looks like:

chlorox bleach
    borax
    cya
    diac. earth
    soda ash
    baking soda

I already have muriatic acid. Im getting the k2006 test kit. Any other tools needed?
    Was thinking of chlorine float.

thanks.
    Pool Specs: 26K, IG, Plaster, Hayward 1HP Superpump, Hayward ProGrid DE 6020

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need advice on what to buy

Welcome to the forum!

Without knowing more about your water chemistry, I would hold off on all purchases at the moment. Let's see what the company does on startup and what your water chemistry looks like. You'll eventually need bleach and Cya, but there isn't any rush. Get your kit and arm yourself with knowledge in the meantime. Have you checked out the ABC's in Pool School? I also wouldn't rush to buy a float just yet either.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey, welcome to the site -
    I had my pool replastered a year ago, as Patrick B (above) states, hold off on all chem, let the PB do the start-up, wait for the kit to come in and do accurate testing. FYI: you will need a soft edge brush and a small leaf catcher - you will not be allowed to run any wheels on the surface for 2 weeks (it will mare the finish). So the objective is to pick up anything you can see with the catcher and brush until your arms fall off to get a nice smooth finish to the plaster - cause the smoother it is the less likely stuff will organics will stick to it in the future. I am so excited for you, it will make your pool look and feel like new. If you can post before and afters. Good Luck!
    13200 gal, IG, plaster, built 1985, replastered 2012, Mytilus MA-90C cartridge filter, 2716 Blue Line In-ground Pump and Motor (1 HP), (manual clean/brush/test with Taylor K-2006, TFP since 2012) in Northwest Houston TX

4. Back To Top    #4

I definitely will have before and after pictures.

I will just buy the DE powder for now as the filter has none. For some reason my backwash lever is stuck. Must be all the gunk inside that I'm still cleaning out.
    Pool Specs: 26K, IG, Plaster, Hayward 1HP Superpump, Hayward ProGrid DE 6020