Solution for providing light to the baja step?

HX_Guy

Nov 13, 2013
We had our pool finished this week and it came out great, only concern is that at night, the baja step does not get any light. I think the thought was that the pool LED light would bouncy off the back wall and light up the baja step but it doesn't quite work.

The water depth at the baja step is only 5" and it's even less at where the waterline tile meets the finish (and curves upward) at only 3" so a spa light is out since it needs a 6" opening and has to be submersed under water.

Are there other options to light up this area that can be retrofitted?

65.jpg

73.jpg

Reverse view of baja step and pool LED light...
74.jpg

The fiberstars treo threads into a standard 1.5" wallport fitting, (not a functioning return though). I think somebody (may have been fiberstars) made lenses that you could put in the side walls and the fiber terminated at those. I'm trying to find a link...

Alrighty I talked with a few people at the office and you do have a few options...

You could run perimeter fiber, and run that to an illuminator or to a Savi Light like this

Is that Savi light the type of lens you were talking about? They require a much smaller niche than your average pool light. Should not be too challenging since you've already got access to the back of the pool walls. Let me know if I can help any further!

Blake: Thanks for your feedback so far. We still have resolved the problem and the pool company says there isn't much that can be done, or that it would be very expensive. We're willing to purchase the parts but feel they should do the labor since I feel they are the ones that didn't calculate the lighting correctly from the start.

Would two Savi lights be possible to put into the waterline tile? Or is the baja step too shallow to allow that? The water dept is only 5" deep.

Talked to the pool builder and they say installing two Savi lights will fix the problem. I was concerned about the depth, it's only 7" from the top of the waterline tile to the bottom, which means only 4" under water. The spec sheets for the Savi light say a minimum of 4" submerged (top of Savi light) and with the Savi light being 2", ours will only barely be submerged by 2". I asked if that's a problem and they said no, as long as it's fully submerged than it's ok.

Does that sound right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.