Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Pool Build. Champagne Taste on a Beer Budget

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Build. Champagne Taste on a Beer Budget

Well after much studying and research signed the contract today. It has been quite a journey, we actually even thought of selling our home and purchasing another with a pool already installed. After looking at many home with issues on everyone we decided to put in our own and do it right- I hope.
    First, the tree cutter is coming to fall 5 large trees in the back yard next week. Of course the largest with about a 3-4 ft diameter is smack in the center of the pool. Needless to say it has got to go. He is going to fall all of them and then grind them down as far as possible.
    I will try and post the progress as we go so first the tree and then in about 2 weeks digging begins after permits and such are pulled. Here are some specs. to give a idea of our coming project.

Lagoon style pool measuring 20x42x31
    4 ft shallow and min 9 ft deep end
    6 inlets, 4 drains and skimmers
    Pentair intelliflo varible speed 3hp pump
    520 clean an clear cartridge filter (went back and forth between this and a sand filter)
    Pentair IC40 salt/ chlorine generator with zinc anode
    Pentair Easy Touch 150 amp 8 circuit control automation
    1,200 square ft concrete decking plus foundation for 12x16 pool shed/cabana
    Coping are 4ft stone creek pavers with full bullnose
    Bench seating on one side deep end
    Stairs on shallow to encompass one full side
    8 ft bench seating with 2 3 ft sheer decent falls
    3 Pentair MagicStream Laminars led
    Pentair variable speed pump to supply
    3 Pentair Intellibrite 5G color leds
    letro legend pool cleaner with booster pump
    Disconnect for meter then power supplied to Easy touch
    misc.- diving board, 2 stub ups for future use(slide, waterfall), gravel back fill, french drains, grading figure 4 handrail, brick ledge for cabana, moving shed, transplanting large plantings, etc.

So basically we concentrated on the pool and decking, lighting for now. Hoping future projects to include a fire pit, bricking in cabana, changing the roof to hip, kitchen/grill area, more lighting to also include landscape, and extending our house deck off of the original.

Just can't wait to get some pictures posted.

So time to update. What we started with.

Dog Kennels

Kids playground will go, they have already outgrown it.

Kennels sold and proceeds added to pool budget.

Same with playground. Gone!

These will have to go.

The big one has a 4 to 5ft diameter.

Quick work made of the small ones.

Whoa! How would you like to see that cruise by your porch?

Up they go.

More to come.
    Last edited by mac1775; 02-11-2014 at 04:40 PM. Reason: New Pictures

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The Monster Has Begun

Sounds fabulous! One note on the tree removal you might want to consider - we had one skinny tree and one good size pecan tree that had to go. Mr.PB told us not to take them all the way down but to leave about a 3ft trunk, as it would be easier to get the backhoe hooked on it and pull the whole thing out of the ground. The tree guys agreed with him when the showed up and the backhoe was in and out in less than 4 hours with the entire dig. Good luck with your pool!
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

3. Back To Top    #3

No need to grind them if you're going to yank them.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Normally I would leave a stub to get a bite with a backhoe like "readyforapool" suggested. Been there done that, pines have no root structure so the stub helps to pop them like tooth picks. Hardwoods have a large circumference root structure so my cutting service said he would grind them down to nothing. We will see, I think he can grind the foot diameter ones leaving just the root structure which the PB can clean out. The 2 large ones I am not so sure so backhoe on standby for the ole giants.
    Best deal out of this first step "No more raking leaves".
    34,000 gal, IG vinyl lagoon shape, Pentair intelliflo varible speed 3hp varible speed pump, 2hp varible speed sheer descent pump, 520 clean an clear cartridge filter, letro legend with booster pump, 8ft bench with two 3ft sheer decents, 3 Pentair Magic Flow Laminar Jets, Intellibrite 5g led lighting, Build currently in progress

5. Back To Top    #5

mac - where are you located?

that sounds like an awesome pool! do you have any renderings of it?

6. Back To Top    #6

Just starting to settle in on the forum "mk". I want to show entire build as it progresses and appreciate any comments or help as what should be done or did I do it right. Anyway, I am in North Mississippi and just have basic stock plans from manufacture so far.
    34,000 gal, IG vinyl lagoon shape, Pentair intelliflo varible speed 3hp varible speed pump, 2hp varible speed sheer descent pump, 520 clean an clear cartridge filter, letro legend with booster pump, 8ft bench with two 3ft sheer decents, 3 Pentair Magic Flow Laminar Jets, Intellibrite 5g led lighting, Build currently in progress

7. Back To Top    #7

This will be fun to watch!! Good luck. Did you get an estimate on how long it will take, start to completion?

8. Back To Top    #8

Start frame is 2-4 weeks, still very wet here. Also, 4-8 weeks to finish, we hope. It would give time to add touches and warm up enough for first swim.

Limited on picture post so on we go.

Getting to the top.

Topping it off.

Gone.

On to the big one.

Lot of trimming on this one.

Keeping the grinder busy.

The mud hole has begun.

Shed moving on out.

Swinging her around.

More to come.

9. Back To Top    #9

Next set of pics.

Here she comes.

Up she goes on new foundation.

Tahdaah!

The dig begins.

These guys have worked almost every day in the cold.

Shape starting to form.

Still at it.

First material load delivered.

Dirt pile is increasing.

They worked in tandem very quickly.

10. Back To Top    #10

Mac,
    They are making some good progress! You have a great backyard for this pool. We are putting in a lot of the same equipment on our pool including a diving board. This may be an odd question, but what color is your diving board? Our PB has us going with a tan one. I didn't even know they made tan diving boards.

I look forward to watching your build!
    Build is Done!: 18'x40' diving pool, depth 3'6" x 9', 104' perimeter, ~24k gallons, spa (6 jets), raised wall (3 scuppers), tanning ledge, Pentair IntelliFlo 3050 VS+SVRS, Pentair Clean & Clear 520 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 BTU heater, Polaris QT 1.5 HP blower, Pentair Intellichlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite 5G lights, Pentair EasyTouch 8 with Screenlogic2, 504 sq ft Roman Slate textured deck, Aqua Blue StoneScapes finish

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm with the others...sounds like a great pool and is going to be a blast to watch!
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    Pentair Triton II TR50 sand filter
    Hayward SharkVac XL cleaner; Emerson 1HP pump
    Bioguard Mineral Springs SWG
    2 skimmers

12. Back To Top    #12

Its always sad to see the trees go, but you get over that pretty quickly. At least I did, the wife, well that's a different question
    Good luck on your pool build

13. Back To Top    #13

mjworthy- I think just a normal white but will check the specs. Aka- the wife color coordinator.

martinkennedy- Sad to see them go, nice to look at but no more raking the back yard. Yes!

Of course didn't get all the roots and stump out.

Deeper and deeper she goes.

One stump + grinder = sawdust

Starting the panels

Shot of deep end.

Lagoon shape forming.

Stairs installed.

Oh no snow.

Warmed up today so they are back at it.

Next morning no work only twenty degrees.

14. Back To Top    #14

Re: Champagne Taste on a Beer Budget

No work today, pics having a problem loading.
    Working on it.

15. Back To Top    #15

I sure wish I had known I had the option to do my steps like this! My PB never even said anything about it! I have those dang white steps that try my soul in keeping them clean! When I have to change my liner next time, I'm going to see if I can get this done somehow. It looks soooooo much better! Can't wait to see this pool when it's finished!
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    2 skimmers

16. Back To Top    #16

I had to check over here to make sure this wasn't my thread - we're definitely working with the same budget! My consolation is that the longer the weather delays us, the more time we have to build up the pool coffers.

Good luck with your project, it looks like it's coming along well and I can't wait to follow the progress!
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread

17. Back To Top    #17

My sister-inlaw has the white insert steps with a matching double seat and she has a lot of staining issues with them. So, we were happy to get this option also they do not break up the lines on the lagoon shape. We also had a option they make called a wedding cake step.

18. Back To Top    #18

Nice project. Interested in seeing how your builder handles the landscaping for final grade on the deep-end side of the build.
    Kafko 15x28 Rectangle granite grey liner pool - Kafko 8 foot granite grey steps / Kafko 8 foot granite grey sunledge - Hayward Equipment - Kafko Safety Cover - Beachcomber 750 hot tub

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by midtngal View Post
    I sure wish I had known I had the option to do my steps like this! My PB never even said anything about it! I have those dang white steps that try my soul in keeping them clean! When I have to change my liner next time, I'm going to see if I can get this done somehow. It looks soooooo much better! Can't wait to see this pool when it's finished!
    I would have never known this was an option until my pool builder told me I would want the liner to cover the steps as well and I am so glad he suggested it because it looks so much better in my opinion. I am looking forward to seeing how this one comes out!
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by doobs41378 View Post
    I would have never known this was an option until my pool builder told me I would want the liner to cover the steps as well and I am so glad he suggested it because it looks so much better in my opinion. I am looking forward to seeing how this one comes out!
    Well, just pile it on the list of issues I had with my PB! I did bring up gray steps after seeing them in FOXX Pools' brochure and he just snarled at that saying that it would cost me another 3K! In other words..."don't make any changes, I'm not capable of dealing with that!" But I agree, they do make a world of difference!

mac1775, it looks like you have a good PB! May your build continue to go smoothly!
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    2 skimmers

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast