Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about gutter spouts and sundeck/drain location

1. Back To Top    #1
    Pearland, TX

Question about gutter spouts and sundeck/drain location

I've been lurking on this sight for a while now and talked to some really great people! the knowledge I've picked up here has been very appreciated.

We are close to the approving the final design on our pool with 850 sq ft of Sun Deck.

Should I add a drain and decking where a gutter spout is located? or should I not deck this area and install a flower bed instead. Not sure if I should totally avoid decking area where gutter spouts are located.

Also my PB offered to "speckle" the sundeck with other sundeck epoxy colors (up to 3) which will give more texture. I have yet to see a Pool deck with this option. My wife and I like the look. PB is charging $0.75 per square ft. to speckle.

Opinions are appreciated
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Question about gutter spouts and sundeck/drain location

Hard to say without being there but if you have a downspout, I would carry that water away. You can always add a flower bed and water it if you like but you don't want that area constantly wet.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Richmond, Texas

Hard to tell without seeing plans, but just from my experience I would add drains to get the water away from the house.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Savage, Minnesota

I put two drains in my concrete deck and the gutter goes directly into one of them. Then I ran about 9 inch pipe under the decking and also put a drain where the concrete from the pool meets the concrete from the house and it all goes to the side of the pool where the yard slopes downhill.
    30K gallon 20 X 40 IG vinyl built 8/2013, Hayward 1.0 hp super pump, 250,000 BTU Hayward heater, S244s Hayward Sand Filter w/side mount multi port valve, Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Chlorinator with Turbocell T-15 , Coverstar automatic pool cover with key switch, TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Nashville, TN

If there is a downspout the potential for a lot of water at once is big and I would plan in the front end to have a way to drain this away from your house and hardscape.
    18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain

6. Back To Top    #6

I got the aggregate effect on my Sundek- it's going to be gorgeous. They still need to add some mission tan. There is a close-up pic on my Flickr page.
    If you get a chance, go to Bullion Coatings so you can see all of the choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Inground Free Form 20' X 40'; Intellachlor salt system; 8' Super Spa (raised 18"); 18" raised beam with water feature (2- 24" scuppers); 4' bench under scuppers; 7' x 14' tanning ledge with 6" water depth; 2- 3' benches with 18" water depth; Premier In-Floor Cleaning System; Fantastico Travertine coping, tiles, and stacked stone; Sundek decking with travertine inlays; Wet Edge Tahoe Coast ; Aqua Link Electronic Control; Jandy 2HP Stealth Pump for pool; 1.5 HP Jandy pump for water feature; Jandy Heater BTU 400K

PICTURES OF POOL BUILD: ... 864595916/