Question about pool elevation

ktyler

Jun 18, 2013
Southwest Louisiana
Those of you that build pools, can you give me insight as to how it's determined how much the pool is built up? We are still having issues and I'm not sure if my pool was just built wrong or what, and I feel like I can't believe anything my pool builder tells me anymore. We live in southwest Louisiana, so we are fairly flat, but the 40 acres I live on slowly slopes back to the back of the property from the highway, our house set way back on the 40 acres, so basically when it rains all the water drains back towards our house. When you sit in the deep end of my pool on the step and look the ground in front of it looks higher than the pool. We are having issues that any time we have a hard rain the liner comes loose all around the deep end of the pool. My pool builder came and made a shallow slope to try to divert any draining water away from the pool, which it does some, but there's still water that catches and sits against the concrete of my deep end. I don't know if the pool were higher if this would still happen or not?? It drops off probably about a foot at least towards the shallow end, so the dirt really tapers down there. I can go take photos if that would help. I had told him originally when he started digging, we were out of town, that it would need to be built up because of the way the water drains down and he said he would shoot grades and it would be fine. We also have a whole lot of clay instead of good dirt, he used the clay to backfill all around the pool, could this be causing water to stay around the pool? Thanks for any help, we just aren't sure what to do now.

I think your main problem is the condition of your soil and the layout of the land rather than pool elevation.

Redirection of surface water is a start, but you really need drain lines at the base of the pool walls to get rid of ground water. If the topography won't let you drain the water with gravity, there are methods that allow you to pump the ground water away from the base of the pool.

Adding to what JohnT said, your PB will have to find a way to remove the ground water from around your pool. It's too bad he backfilled with clay but done is done.

He will need to get gravity working for him and drain that water to daylight or put in something to pump the water from around the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.