Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about pool elevation

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about pool elevation

Those of you that build pools, can you give me insight as to how it's determined how much the pool is built up? We are still having issues and I'm not sure if my pool was just built wrong or what, and I feel like I can't believe anything my pool builder tells me anymore. We live in southwest Louisiana, so we are fairly flat, but the 40 acres I live on slowly slopes back to the back of the property from the highway, our house set way back on the 40 acres, so basically when it rains all the water drains back towards our house. When you sit in the deep end of my pool on the step and look the ground in front of it looks higher than the pool. We are having issues that any time we have a hard rain the liner comes loose all around the deep end of the pool. My pool builder came and made a shallow slope to try to divert any draining water away from the pool, which it does some, but there's still water that catches and sits against the concrete of my deep end. I don't know if the pool were higher if this would still happen or not?? It drops off probably about a foot at least towards the shallow end, so the dirt really tapers down there. I can go take photos if that would help. I had told him originally when he started digging, we were out of town, that it would need to be built up because of the way the water drains down and he said he would shoot grades and it would be fine. We also have a whole lot of clay instead of good dirt, he used the clay to backfill all around the pool, could this be causing water to stay around the pool? Thanks for any help, we just aren't sure what to do now.
    Installed in September, 2013 18x36 (28,000 gallons) lagoon shaped, vinyl pool, with steel walls. Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump, intellichlor salt generator, pentair cartridge filter CCP320

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about pool elevation

I think your main problem is the condition of your soil and the layout of the land rather than pool elevation.

Redirection of surface water is a start, but you really need drain lines at the base of the pool walls to get rid of ground water. If the topography won't let you drain the water with gravity, there are methods that allow you to pump the ground water away from the base of the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply John, he said yesterday when he was here he would come put in some kind of drain pipe near the deep end and see if that worked. I sure hope it does.
    Installed in September, 2013 18x36 (28,000 gallons) lagoon shaped, vinyl pool, with steel walls. Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump, intellichlor salt generator, pentair cartridge filter CCP320

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Adding to what JohnT said, your PB will have to find a way to remove the ground water from around your pool. It's too bad he backfilled with clay but done is done.

He will need to get gravity working for him and drain that water to daylight or put in something to pump the water from around the pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll post photos of what he does and get opinions from you guys. It has been one thing after the next with this pool!