bestway flowclear 2500 gal filter pump

Jan 9, 2014
I have the intex 14ft metal frame pool with the stock 1500gal cartridge type A catridge filter.

I was thinking of buying the best way flowclear 2500 catridge filter and was wondering if anyone has any experience with these units or can suggest a better alternative.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Steve.

Welcome to tfp, Steffche :wave:

I am not familiar with the brand you mentioned, but that filter looks very similar to a similar intex cartridge filter designs. In general the intex cartridge filters are very inadequate due to their poor filter media and small size...and from looking online at the one you mentioned, I would say it has the same problems. However, the intex sand filters work pretty well, so I would consider one of those first. Many people on here have the intex 2650 sand filter and are very happy with it. For a pool your size, you could also get by with the Intex 1600 sand filter, though if you want to vacuum with it, it will not be as good as the 2650.

Assuming you have the 4' wall size on your 14' intex, then your volume is about 3200 gallons which is pretty small. A 50 sq. ft. filter should work well for that size pool. There are a number of combo systems that are about this size, but make sure you get one with a small pump since filtering is best a low flow rates.

Just curious, why do you want to stay with a cartridge filter? I ask since small sand filters are usually significantly cheaper than the small (non intex style) cartridge filters.

I will add my two cents to this discussion. If you know you are going to keep an above ground pool for the next 5 years or more, I would suggest getting a real Hayward (or similar) pool pump. A 3/4 hp should and will be fine. Number two, if you want to keep with carts, then look at one of the real cartridge filters from the big guys. Yes they will run a couple of hundred dollars, but you will or can get a 50, 100 or even 150 sq foot filter. That means once, twice, maybe three times a year clean and not pitching the Intex filter every 5 days.

The above in my recommendation. Now because I don't anticipate having my Intex setup around past this summer.....I got the big 2650 filter/pump that has the bigger "B" filters, and ordered Unicell "B" sized replacement filters. They are much better: filter better, last longer, all around superior filter compared to throw away mentality of the Intex stuff.

Since I have had my setup for the past 4 years, I have had to replace my Intex pump every year. So even if I had blown the money for a nice single speed Hayward 3/4 hp pump and one of the 50sq ft cart filter setups.....I would be even or a bit ahead by now.

Bob E.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.