Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Threaded PVC Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Threaded PVC Question

Simple question - If I use threaded PVC going into my pump - do the threads normally get Teflon tape??

Thanks!
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Threaded PVC Question

Well, maybe. I prefer paste, but they should have a sealant applied to them whatever you use and prefer. If that's t-tape then yes they get taped.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Well, maybe. I prefer paste, but they should have a sealant applied to them whatever you use and prefer. If that's t-tape then yes they get taped.
    What type of sealant could I use to replace the tape? I'm re-plumbing my system and it looks like the prior owner did use sealant as you can see if all over the threads...
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Teflon based sealant for plastic pipes is what you should use. There are several brands so just get whatever your local store carries. Just make sure it's for plastic piping.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Some here will disagree with me, but the threaded fittings manufacturers recommend -never- using tape, only a good PVC thread paste/sealant.

But by all means yes, use a thread sealant for your pump connection.
    Mesa, AZ Spillover spa and inground pool, 12,500 G, pebble finish, Hayward C5030 (525sf) Cartridge Filter, Hayward EcoStar VS Pump, Installed July 2013, Hayward SWG T-Cell-15, Trident UV (I know, I know....was installed before I found this site!) Rock grotto waterfall, LED ColorLogic lighting, 110 BTU Heat Pro Electric Heat Pump, Maytronics Dolphin Supreme M5 cleaner, TF-100 test kit with Speed Stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Not arguing about manufacturers recommendations, but we have used teflon tape for over 30 years on all our threaded fittings and haven't had an issue. May not be the correct way to do it but that is the way we have done it.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by swimcmp
    Not arguing about manufacturers recommendations, but we have used teflon tape for over 30 years on all our threaded fittings and haven't had an issue. May not be the correct way to do it but that is the way we have done it.
    Yup. I know it will do just fine for a pro, but the sealant is much more goof proof for Average Joe.....it's pretty easy to under wrap or over wrap with tape, but paste sealant is "self-adjusting".

Male PVC into Female Metal are fine for tape, but I would never recommend using tape in PVC to PVC threads, unless you're in a pinch......
    Mesa, AZ Spillover spa and inground pool, 12,500 G, pebble finish, Hayward C5030 (525sf) Cartridge Filter, Hayward EcoStar VS Pump, Installed July 2013, Hayward SWG T-Cell-15, Trident UV (I know, I know....was installed before I found this site!) Rock grotto waterfall, LED ColorLogic lighting, 110 BTU Heat Pro Electric Heat Pump, Maytronics Dolphin Supreme M5 cleaner, TF-100 test kit with Speed Stir.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

The argument of "tape" vs. "pipe dope" is as old and unsolvable as is the argument about which type filter is best.

I prefer to use "dope" on anything an inch or more....teflon on the smaller diameter. I can't tell you exactly why, it just seems to work better for me.

The point is, how ever you are used to doing it is the best way. If you are not used to threaded PVC at all, dope is probably a little more bulletproof and "self adjusting" as stated above.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I agree with you Dave.....it doesn't hurt to explain to any "newbies" a best way, however.

To each his own, and if it ain't broke don't fix it, and if it works for you, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

It's just as a manufacturer and supplier of this stuff I can definitively say that versus any warranty claims, if tape was used and it failed, we're off the hook.....

10. Back To Top    #10

Another guy that uses thread sealant. It's just what I prefer. Never had any leaks using it.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

Here's what some manufactures say:
    http://www.lascofittings.com/threads
    http://www.spearsmfg.com/how_to/FG-3B-0 ... nglish.pdf

I didn't have sealant, used tape. 1 1/2 fittings. Working ok.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida