Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Booster Cleaner screen clogging

1. Back To Top    #1

Booster Cleaner screen clogging

Is this a sign of something but my booster pump cleaner screen filter keeps clogging up with material...Ive never had this happen before so wondering if my grids in my DE filter are tore up or what else would cause that?
    built 4/08/2000 16 x32 460 Sq FT Pool 16,000 gallons 3.5 ft 5 ft 3.5 ft sport pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Booster Cleaner screen clogging

How is the booster pump plumbed into the system?

What type material is it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like grass to me...as far I know my booster pump is separate and has it own line into the side of the pool....Iver never had to clean that filter before until the last month or so...Only reason why I thought to check was that the pump was on but he cleaner was not moving...once cleaned it runs fine
    built 4/08/2000 16 x32 460 Sq FT Pool 16,000 gallons 3.5 ft 5 ft 3.5 ft sport pool

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I am not aware of most booster pumps having a seperate filter. Got a pic?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Where are you located?
    It seems odd that it would be grass if it's never happened before.
    Have you changed or added lawn care service?
    How clean is the pool staying?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Im in Houston...at the connection of the booster cleaner hose to the wall fitting, if you unscrew the hose there at the tip is a little metal screen...that screen is what is clogging...I said grass but it hards to tell....maybe its a little DE with dirt? Whatever it is its enough to stop the flow to the cleaner where it wont run..after cleaning it out it runs fine. Looking for a pic I found this article
    http://www.swimming-pool-information.co ... blems.html

sounds like I may have a hole in my DE filters?

7. Back To Top    #7

Does the booster pump water supply come off before or after the main filter?
    Does the booster pump water feed have it's own filter?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Here is a pic of my setup..booster bump is on end. No filter for it and it's at the end of the line.

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks like it's on it's own circuit, unless it's tied to the main pump discharge somewhere underground (which I doubt).

Do you know where the suction for it is in the pool?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

No I don't ..maybe bottom of the pool? Don't think it's skimmers unless it's also tied into main pump line. I didn't build the pool so don't know all the details

11. Back To Top    #11

Maybe you could disconnect the discharge hose and pour a little food coloring in it and blow it back toward the pool and see where it comes out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

You either have a failed DE grid, manifold, or possibly a bad seal in your multiport backwash valve. The source of the dirt in the Polaris strainer is one of those three items.

Edit: Also, check the air bleed screen attached to the DE mainifold - if it has damage, it would pass dirt to the Polaris strainer.
    APSP Certified Building Professional
    APSP Certified Service Professional
    NSPF Certified Pool Operator

13. Back To Top    #13

I did a complete clean of my DE filter couple of weeks ago and had multiple holes in various grids. Luckily I had replacement grids already so just swapped out the bad ones. For a complete clean, how many scoops with a DE scoop should I have put in? I put in 10..i have the fnsp60

14. Back To Top    #14

Best to weigh the DE yourself. I have no idea hour big your scoop is our how packed in you made the DE. There are a few threads discussing how variable the weight is ... usually no where near a pound.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!