Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! My de push pull valve opened itself?!?!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! My de push pull valve opened itself?!?!

I wonder if its the freeze? I have a freeze guard and it is functioning. I heard water rushing tonight all of a sudden and went out and my push pull valve was up and my pool was back washing itself!

How does this happen? It's back in place now but I worry I'll lose a ton of water if it releases tonight. Luckily temps are supposed to be in the 40s on out this week so in the am I can hit the kill switch and figure out *** happened.
    15000 Gal Pool + Spa - Twin 2hp Pentair Pumps - DE Filter - 400kbtu Heater - Jandy wireless control system with freeze out - Polaris 3900 pressure side cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! My de push pull valve opened itself?!?!

You don't list which brand valve you have, but I suspect it had something to do with the freeze and maybe the valve wasn't seated completely. We've never had a report of that happening so it's not a common problem.

Does your valve twist lock down or just slide down and seat in place and the water pressure holds it in place?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a VCV Push Pull 7.5ABS valve.

I looked at it this morning and the plastic seating ring snapped off. I assume for some reason pressure built up inside or the push pull failed in such a way to basically push the valve completely up. It was pulled out all the way when I found it.

Pics in next post.

My plan is to replace the entire thing. Pool is fully shutdown now. Low temp is 40 for next 7 days so I'm safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15000 Gal Pool + Spa - Twin 2hp Pentair Pumps - DE Filter - 400kbtu Heater - Jandy wireless control system with freeze out - Polaris 3900 pressure side cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks like replacement is you're only choice.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit