Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motor making new noise; bearings?

1. Back To Top    #1

Motor making new noise; bearings?

http://youtu.be/J1UidKL63SE

Just started. Been running for about 3 days straight with the freezing temps.

I can get the model info tomorrow. Any ideals? Does it hurt to run it like that? Don't want tonal emanating worse.
    new house: TBDK gal IG plaster pool, filter Titan CM DE filter 36 sq ft , 1.5 HP Pump; Polaris 380

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Motor making new noise; bearings?

Here is the label. Turns out I had a picture of it on here when it was installed. It is 3 years old. [attachment=0:1nzma0id]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389150874.496126.jpg[/attachment:1nzma0id]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    new house: TBDK gal IG plaster pool, filter Titan CM DE filter 36 sq ft , 1.5 HP Pump; Polaris 380

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, sounds like bearings. Bad bearings will kill a motor eventually, so you can't let it run like that forever, but you don't have to change them tomorrow.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

Picture worth a thousand words. What about a video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhhNk5tH9NI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxTlCZ9SfqM

Parts:
    http://wetheadpumprepair.com/store/prod ... it-001401/

You may want to call to confirm the bearings.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Awesome thanks. Just had a buddy replace his. Far as I know it just started making the noise so I'll get to it soon.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just got a reply email from the people at wethead.com. They said the kit I needed was the one below. I didn't see any ones that said century on the website so I guess this is just a comparable piece that fits that motor?

http://wetheadpumprepair.com/store/prod ... epair-kit/

7. Back To Top    #7

When I did mine, I just got them from Grainger. Depending on how fast you need the pump turned around, you can tear the pump apart and look for any markings stamped on the bearing seal to make sure that kit matches.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months

8. Back To Top    #8

Should you always change the seal when changing the bearings?

How did you know which bearing to get at Grainger? Take it apart and take the bearing with you?

9. Back To Top    #9

General recommendation around here is yes. Full disclosure, I've done it both ways. I've got two pumps, and I've had to disassemble them several times for various reasons. I'd say I replaced the shaft seal half the time. In the times I reused the seal, I haven't had a problem.

That said, it's a wearable item, so if there's any age on it at all, it makes sense to change it while you're already in there.

10. Back To Top    #10

Looks like the bearings are 6203 Double Sealed for both ends Century part #10000353. (Some use a 6203 and 6204 bearing.) Looks like the kit earlier comes with 2-6203 and 1-6204 and the seal.

The are very common can be found for less than $10 for a set of 2, but you'd still also need a new shaft seal.
    Check eBay for 6203 2rs seal
    I'm partial to these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6203-2RS-Premiu ... 1125228165

The company is local to me. I've done business with the company in the past.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm with bobo.....Grainger for the bearings and eBay for the shaft seal.

12. Back To Top    #12

I can't seem to find the seal on eBay. All i get when i search 6203 2rs seal is sealed bearings. Is that what i want? i think it might be it's just looks like a bigger version of the bearing it confused me. I've never done this before.

For Grainger, i found these. They look correct, yes?

http://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON- ... =P2IDP2PCP

REALLY appreciate all the help

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by CarrolltonTXPool
    I can't seem to find the seal on eBay. All i get when i search 6203 2rs seal is sealed bearings. Is that what i want? i think it might be it's just looks like a bigger version of the bearing it confused me. I've never done this before.

For Grainger, i found these. They look correct, yes?

REALLY appreciate all the help
    I don't think those are the right ones. They have a metal shield, not a rubber/plastic seal. You want the sealed bearings not shielded.

I believe it's this one:
    but it's cheaper here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/6203-2RS-Premiu ... 1125228165

I'm not positive on your pool pump type (wet end): but if it's a Sta-Rite Dura Glas Pump Shaft Seal 17304-0100S, S-200
    this is the seal you need:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sta-Rite-Dura-G ... 1c0d7f131d

You'll need 2 bearings and one shaft seal.

14. Back To Top    #14

Yeah that's the pump I have. Thanks for all the help!

15. Back To Top    #15

Please post back when you're done. We need more examples of people who overhaul their own pump. Unfortunately, too many people want to just replace the pump (and pool shops advise this route VERY quickly, obviously), instead of saving a ton of money and fixing it themselves.

16. Back To Top    #16

Will do. Got the seal today and the bearings come Thursday. Hoping to have my buddy come over sat morning to give it a shot.

I agree about the pool store. Last time I had an issue they give me the standard "well if that part went, it's only time before the whole thing breaks. I wouldn't waste money replacing parts when you'll need a new motor anyways."

17. Back To Top    #17

Got it almost put back together today. New bearings and seal are on but the impeller screw was trashed in the removal process. Do hardware stores usually carry reverse thread screws? Thought about swing if Leslie's had one in stock. Need to get ASAP to get pump back working before the next cold snap

They have it here for $6.99.
    http://www.yourpoolhq.com/sta-rite-dura ... 7AodEFQA4g

18. Back To Top    #18

Did you take any pictures?

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    Did you take any pictures?
    Unfortunately, no. My help had to leave to help another buddy with a broken car, so I was under the gun to finish before dark.

We will see if it runs ok, but I am not very mechanically inclined and with the resources out there I didn't feel over whelmed during the process. The bearing puller was a little tricky but the videos online helped. Rented it from O'Reileys for a refundable deposit.

Picked up a new screw at a local pool store so will fully reassemble tonight and hopefully reinstall tomorrow.

20. Back To Top    #20

Ok get the impeller screw on, put on the diffuser and the shaft stopped spinning. Took it off and there is rusty looking stuff on inside rim. That has to be it, because it totally spins free with the diffuser off. Unless it developed I the two days it's been apart, it was there before and spun. Not sure why this changed. Any ideas? It was more of a green color so I used some emery cloth then a small screw driver to chip away. But still some on there. [attachment=1:3tx47iry]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390265066.189805.jpg[/attachment:3tx47iry][attachment=0:3tx47iry]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390265075.605829.jpg[/attachment:3tx47iry]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast