Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Frozen Pool in TN! Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Frozen Pool in TN! Help!

Typically in my area of Tennessee, we do not experience any weather that would require us to winterize our pool. Due to the mild temperatures we leave our pool open year around with the pump continuously on. This week we have experienced 4 degree weather. Our pool has completely frozen over on top and busted the pipe to slide. I believe we have a fix for the pipe, but I need some advice on the ice. We have one more day until it warms up, is it better to just let the ice be or try to thaw it enough to break it up. Water is still flowing through the skimmer and the pump I am just not sure it can all make it through tonight. Any advice on how to handle the ice?

Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Frozen Pool in TN! Help!

Welcome to the forum. Leave the ice alone. It's not thick enough to damage anything. Keep your pump running until temps return to normal.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

4. Back To Top    #4

Nice Tennessee weather aint it... 0 to -7 in my area this morning (e.Tn.) and back to the 50's by the weekend...
    I started out with no knowledge about pool maintenance/upkeep . Got lucky and stumbled upon this site. Listen to the people here, they'll steer you in the right direction for sure!!
    Your most welcome here...
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.