New pool

Jul 3, 2013
Hi all,
We are just about complete with our pool build, 13,000 gallon inclusive of surge tank, salt water, infinity edge. Can somebody kindly advise me on the procedure to start running and using the pool. We will probably start filling the pool Ina couple of days.

When your pool is full of water prime the pump by removing the lid and fill with water then you can turn on the pump. If you have a DE filter add the recommended amount of DE after the air is out of the filter tank. You will need to run the filter pump 6-8 hours per day. You will need a test kit or test strips to check the chemicals chlorine should be 1-3 ppm, PH 7.2-7.6, alkalinity 100-120, stabilizer 30-100, calcium 200-400. The chemicals should be checked weekly

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

First, you need to get the equipment (minus the SWG) running.
Then you need to do a complete water test using one of the Recommended Test Kits (minus the CYA as it will be zero unless you add some). We teach to only add what the pool needs and to know what it needs you need to know where it is at.

Also, the numbers that PSS posted above are not really in line with the TFP recommendations you can find here:
pool-school/recommended_levels
pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

Additionally, we teach that you should be checking the pH and FC levels on a near daily basis while you learn your pool, not a fixed weekly basis as PSS states.

Once you have tested your water, you can then use PoolMath to calculate what you need to add to make the adjustments you desire.

Likely you will need about 300-350 lbs of salt. You can find "solar salt" at the hardware stores that is cheaper than the so called "pool salt" in 40 lb bags. I would probably add 7 bags, let the water circulate for 24 hours and then turn the SWG on and see what it is reading for the salt level. You may need to add 1-2 bags more to get the reading in the correct range.

You will also certainly need to add stabilizer (CYA) to the pool immediately to protect the FC from the sun. I would target about 40ppm to start with and you will later want to raise it to 70-80ppm for the SWG.

OH WAIT ... this is a new build, so generally you should not add salt for at least 30 days for the plaster/pebble to cure.

So, you will need to use bleach to maintain adequate FC for the 40ppm of CYA for a month before you start up the SWG.

If none of this makes sense, read Pool School and ask questions.

But there is grout between those tiles that still needs to cure, I think. And adding salt too early can be detrimental.

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.