CH 470 Stabilizer 100

Apr 20, 2013
St. Augustine FL
We filled our pool in late August. I go to the pool store once a week for testing. The pool builder told us the best way to support the warranty was to show our papers with good result. We have Crystal Stone finish. I keep the PH right around 7.2-7.4 because it is so new. The pool store told me the CH was so high because when we brush the outside of the pool it adds calcium to the pool water. The first testing in September showed CH 400 Stabilizer 90. Both numbers are now considered "high". I see many saying to drain it but seems crazy for us because it was just filled. What should we do?

Inground 13000gallon
13x32
salt water (which even though it is turned off is reading TC level of 5)
Pentair intelliflo pump and DE filter (which is only a few weeks old because of recall)

Thank you!

You should get a quality test kit and test for yourself, we have found that pool store testing numbers are often wildly inaccurate, much of the time all they are good for is giving them a reason to sell you something you likely don't need. If by chance they are right, the way your CYA managed to get so high was likely by following their advice to add too much stabilizer or stabilized chlorine. I would also suggest you take some time to read the pool school link in the upper right.

Ike

p.s. the only practical way to lower CYA is through water replacement, also the common CYA test is only good at reading up to about 100 ppm, so even if they did the test right, your true CYA may be 150, 200 or more

also CH of 400 may be higher than ideal, but well in the manageable range we have members here that have fill water about that high, and some that manage pools with a CH in the 1,000 range, although that does require a closer eye on pH

I see many saying to drain it but seems crazy for us because it was just filled.
Whether it was filled 10 years ago or yesterday does not make it crazy.

Assuming the pool store is accurate, (it usually isn't) you are at what we consider the very upper limits of CH and CYA to manage your pool properly.

If it was my pool, I woulds drain about 1/3.

Thank you! These numbers are not far off from what they were at fill date. The pool store has only recommended acid so far. They were concerned with the numbers at this past reading but were hesitate to recommend much until I checked my warranty as to what is safe to use with Crystal Stone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.