During freezing temperatures-Pressure rise to 80 PSI!

Jan 6, 2014
JohnD5000 said:
I am currently running my pump to keep pipes from freezing in 28 degree overnight temp. However, I have some waterfalls that I have not diverted water to for 1 month. Should I divert water through all these pipes too? Will it matter? Thanks.

Hello! First time pool owner and have questions about below freezing temps. I'm running my pool filter/pump tonight because the temp. right now in Fort Worth, TX is 14 degrees. I was told to always run filter when freezing weather is expected. However, the pressure meter on top of the tank/filter is reading very high--like in the 80 psi range. I removed all leaves/debris from around pool drain and cleaned out the skimmer baskets but the meter is still running high. Can this mean freezing is occurring? Yikes! Will await a reply.

Orlando V.
Fort Worth, TX

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I recently experienced a similar situation, although in my case it was obvious that it was the gauge since it read 30 PSI with the pump off. Water flow was normal. Replaced gauge and all is well.

Yes the gauges can freeze and yes they do fail and quite often. Let it warm up during the day and see if changes. If not, replace it. The oil filled gauges are little bit more resistant to problems so you might go with that instead. See tftestkits.net.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.