Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: During freezing temperatures-Pressure rise to 80 PSI!

1. Back To Top    #1

During freezing temperatures-Pressure rise to 80 PSI!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD5000
    I am currently running my pump to keep pipes from freezing in 28 degree overnight temp. However, I have some waterfalls that I have not diverted water to for 1 month. Should I divert water through all these pipes too? Will it matter? Thanks.

Hello! First time pool owner and have questions about below freezing temps. I'm running my pool filter/pump tonight because the temp. right now in Fort Worth, TX is 14 degrees. I was told to always run filter when freezing weather is expected. However, the pressure meter on top of the tank/filter is reading very high--like in the 80 psi range. I removed all leaves/debris from around pool drain and cleaned out the skimmer baskets but the meter is still running high. Can this mean freezing is occurring? Yikes! Will await a reply.

Orlando V.
    Fort Worth, TX

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: During freezing temperatures-Pressure rise to 80 PSI!

Pool pumps are not capable of 80 psi (only about 35-40) so the first thing is to fix the gauge.

Secondly, do you have normal or close to normal flow in the pool?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    DFW, Texas

Welcome to TFP!

I recently experienced a similar situation, although in my case it was obvious that it was the gauge since it read 30 PSI with the pump off. Water flow was normal. Replaced gauge and all is well.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Richmond, Texas

I had to replace my PSI gauge after the 2011 freeze we had here. It was reading 90 all of the time.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Pleasanton, CA

Yes the gauges can freeze and yes they do fail and quite often. Let it warm up during the day and see if changes. If not, replace it. The oil filled gauges are little bit more resistant to problems so you might go with that instead. See
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner