Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air Bubbles from Jets only when Main Drain Valve is OPEN??

1. Back To Top    #1

Air Bubbles from Jets only when Main Drain Valve is OPEN??

16,000 gallon 14x28 IG Indoor Fiberglass pool with sand filter and pentair superflo pump.

After releasing the air from the filter, it takes about 15 minutes for the jets to start spewing (small) air bubbles. If I close the main drain valve about half way and leave the skimmer valve wide open, the bubbles almost immediately STOP.

I've removed the pump cap and checked to be sure the gasket was intact and everything looked good there.

What is going on?

THANK YOU!

~Rachel
    16,000 gallon 14x28 IG Indoor Fiberglass pool with sand filter and pentair superflo pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Air Bubbles from Jets only when Main Drain Valve is OPEN

If I close the main drain valve about half way and leave the skimmer valve wide open, the bubbles almost immediately STOP.
    Puzzling.....and about opposite what I would expect.

So what happens if you then re-open the main drain valve? Immediate bubbles again?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    So what happens if you then re-open the main drain valve? Immediate bubbles again?

It takes about 15 minutes for the bubbles to re-appear from the jets after the main drain valve is COMPLETELY open.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Well, I am out of ideas then. The air has to be coming from the suction side of the main drain line but their appearance should be immediate. I have no clue why you are getting a delay. I would position the main drain valve in the 1/2 way position until a solution is found.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Could this possibly be an air leak in the main drain valve? (i.e. the suction side drawing in air through packing or a seal in the valve when it is in a certain position). I've had that happen on old valves.
    John (DIYer). Concrete, approximately 13,000 gallon in-ground pool with adjoining concrete spa. Approximately 40 years old. Hayward Super II pump for pool and legacy Anthony Sta-Rite bronze pump CF6 for spa, VA-26 filter,(2 sets), Rheem propane heater for spa. HASA Liquidator for pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierrun
    Could this possibly be an air leak in the main drain valve? (i.e. the suction side drawing in air through packing or a seal in the valve when it is in a certain position). I've had that happen on old valves.
    I don't know. How would I find this out? What would I need to do?

Everything is only 7 years old.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by r8chel
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierrun
    I don't know. How would I find this out? What would I need to do?

Everything is only 7 years old.
    It could easily be a misshapen O-ring or a scratch in the shaft, possibly even an out-of-round shaft and a brittle O-ring. Spray shaving cream all around the questionable valve and its connections. If the bubbles stop and/or you see the foam getting sucked in somewhere, you've found your leak. Jandy valves can be rebuilt, just google Jandy overhaul kit.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!