Pump wont prime

Yabbie

Apr 22, 2013
I noticed my pump making the wrong sound (tone seems to vary rather than a confident purr) and would not self prime. After leaving it running for 5 minutes, I turned it off. I dissembled the valve in front of the pump and with a garden hose filled the skimmer pipe with water. Re assemble valve and pump now primes and away we go. If I turn the pump off and leave it for 15 minutes, wrong noise and wont prime. I think I may have a cracked pipe or faulty seal at one of the elbow joins under ground. Apart from calling in a leak detector guy is there anything else I can do to try and fault find the problem ?

I checked the o-ring and there is plenty of grease and no gunk stuck on it. Gave it a clean with a jet of water just in case. the pump dose not have a drain plug.

I noticed in reading the manual for the pump you should have a check valve installed if the pump is more than 500 mm above the water level. My pump is 1000 mm above water level and I have no check valve. Where dose the check valve go ? directly in front of the pump ?

I found this useful doc from Jandy on pool plumbing setup http://instantpoolparts.com/manualfiles ... matics.pdf
my plumbing is like page 3 with no check valves, one skimmer, no heater and no pool drain.

Yes, that's correct. the water that is visible through the clear lid on the strainer drops quickly. Given the pump is 1000 mm above the level of the pool, gravity would start to act on any water in the skimmer/verticle pipes and the water would drain away to the lowest level (which would be the skimmer pipe underground )

Given the pump is 1000 mm above the level of the pool, gravity would start to act on any water in the skimmer/verticle pipes and the water would drain away to the lowest level
Not if your system is air-tight as it should be. The water cannot escape back down to the pool unless it is being replaced by air from the atmosphere.

Find where that air is leaking into the system (you should be able to hear it with the pump off) and your issue will be solved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.