Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Evaporation???

1. Back To Top    #1

Evaporation???

I had a feeling I was losing too much water so I had a leak guy come out and he found to tiny spots where water was leaking from around two different return jets, he fixed them. NOW my moms pool can go months without having to fill ( I know this since I am the one who maintains it) hers is vinyl or fiberglass type Inground, mine is plaster. I am loosing approx. 3 inches a week...pool leak guy says its evaporation. Well why don't my moms pool evaporate that much? I live five miles from her.
    So I guess my question is....is it really possible to loose 3 inches a week from evaporation or am I still leaking from somewhere? Central florida east coast....and if it is possible how can I keep a well balanced (chemical wise) levels?
    Thanks Todd.
    15,000 gal. In ground, sand textured with beach area, spa located in beach area with spillover equal to pool level.Rock waterfall with 4 foot drop.Hayward goldline aquaplus automation all wireless remote.T 15 cell,Propane heater,Super 2 for pool/spa,Super 2 for waterfall.Cartridge filter and solar panels.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Evaporation???

You can try the bucket test to confirm if you have a leak or not.

pool-school/leak_detection
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

I did it it did loose more than the bucket, and the pool guy said its mighty close and still blames evap.
    Thanks Todd.
    15,000 gal. In ground, sand textured with beach area, spa located in beach area with spillover equal to pool level.Rock waterfall with 4 foot drop.Hayward goldline aquaplus automation all wireless remote.T 15 cell,Propane heater,Super 2 for pool/spa,Super 2 for waterfall.Cartridge filter and solar panels.

4. Back To Top    #4

Evaporation???

From what I've read before if the pool loses more than the bucket there's a leak. If it were evaporation they should lose the same amount or very close to the same amount.

Somebody with more experience should be able to shed some more light on this.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

13200 gal, IG, plaster, built 1985, replastered 2012, Mytilus MA-90C cartridge filter, 2716 Blue Line In-ground Pump and Motor (1 HP), (manual clean/brush/test with Taylor K-2006, TFP since 2012) in Northwest Houston TX

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

1/4 " daily is an average evaporative loss......it can vary but that's a decent average.

If you lose 1/2 inch daily in FL (3.5"/week), I think you have a small leak and should find that before you worry about balancing your pool water.

Be precise with your loss. Mark the edge of the water line and then see how long it takes to drop exactly one inch.

Or, measure exactly what it loses in a 24 hour period.....either way works. Report back.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I just filled the pool even with the spa spillover. Shut off pump,Now I will wait and see the difference in the spa loss and pool loss. They should be equal in loss. If the pool has a greater loss than the spa then I know for sure.sound like a good plan?
    Thanks Todd.