Chlorine ppm question???

HI everyone!

A little late opening (first opening, btw) this year. Went on vaca and just got back so pool time!

Took the cover off, water was crystal clear with only a bit of stuff on the bottom, until some of the funk from the cover got into the pool (that is a whole OTHER story! :shock: ...of which we will do SOOOO differently next season!) So, anyway, the green junk mixed in with the water and turned it a milky pale green. I put in 6 large jugs of Clorox today and checked the ppm about 3 hours later. It is around 18 ppm.

Is that high enough? Also, how long do I need to keep it at that level?

And, lastly, where can I re order things for my pool kit? (I ordered from someone on here I think) I'm out of the CYA part.

Thanks!!!!

Can't check my CYA as I'm out of that one. Will have to reorder asap.

I will check my ppm levels tonight and first thing in the morning to see what they've dropped.

Also, the pool is nice and blue again but not clear. Even whatever that little bit of stuff all over the bottom was is gone which is great....but the water is not clear. How long will that take? Any idea?

Okay, went ahead and checked my ppm levels. (sun is on the pool but I plan to check later on this evening and first thing in morning also)

My levels went from 18 last night to 7.5 today! wow. Also, since earlier this morning I noticed the pool looks a bit clearer so that is good. I went ahead and added 2 more large jugs of bleach. Will check the levels tonight and tomorrow to see how much is lost overnight, if any.

Okay, other levels.....

ph is 7.2
TA is 80
The TA is low right? Last year's numbers were in the 120-130's. Didn't have any marked that low last year. Should I raise that up a bit? Borax, right?

Also, last year I struggled to keep my chlorine in the pool. I forget, what is it I can add to help keep the chlorine in the pool (to help keep the sun from taking it all out) I know I will have to keep my chlorine levels a bit higher with that than I did last year but I just got so tired of constantly having to add clorox all the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, didn't get a chance to add any bleach yesterday and last night it was 3.0ppm so I guess the sun really took it out since the early morning reading of 7.5. This morning it was 2.5ppm so I only lost .5 overnight last night. I'm going to bring it back up today though anyway. Water is crystal clear and looks good too.

Got my re-order supplies for my test kit already! That was so quick!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.