Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Frozen R-0871

1. Back To Top    #1
    South-Central Pennsylvania

Frozen R-0871

I had some Taylor R-0871 delivered via USPS. Of course the day I forget to check the mail it is delivered and the overnight temperature was 9 F.

R-0871 is frozen solid. The R-0003 did not freeze.

Can I just set the R-0871 on the counter to thaw out and use....or is it kaput???
    2013 HotSpring Grandee with Ace Sanitizing System
    25K IG vinyl pool with Alps spillover spa and waterfall. Build Date: June 2013
    Triton II TR100 Sand Filter, Pentair Master Temp 400 natural gas pool heater, Intellichlor SWG, Rainbow Chlorine Feeder
    Pentair VF filter pump, WhisperFlo 2 hp WFE-8 waterfall pump, WhisperFloFX 2 hp spillover spa pump
    Intellibrite 5G (2 pool and 1 in spa) lights :: TFT-100 test kit, Taylor K-1776 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Frozen R-0871

If you are on municipal water, test your tap to see if you get an FC reading.

I imagine you are OK. If you got it from TFTestkits, let us know and we'll take care of it if needed.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Pleasanton, CA

Some municipal water like mine, uses CC instead of FC.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

You can still get a reaction, even if you have to use both reagents.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

5. Back To Top    #5
    Twin Cities, MN

For what it is worth, I have had R-0871 freeze in the past, and it still compared reasonably to fresh R-0871...ymmv
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.