Running pool in Winter

BillB

Aug 25, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
As I mentioned in another post, I'm running my pool this Winter.
In previous years this has never been a problem.
It's been a lot colder this Winter.

I estimate my water to be about 45 degrees.
Tomorrow will be H 62 L30
Monday will be H 39 L 19
Tuesday - H 34 L 19

Then it warms up again.

I'm wondering if I should drain the pump and filter tomorrow.
With the temps posted above, is there a chance the pump could freeze even if I keep it running?
Thanks for any advice I can get.

With the pump running, it won't stay cold enough for long enough to damage anything. The main risk is if you lose electricity and the pump stops.

Will it be windy at your equipment pad? You could also throw a tarp over the above-ground pipes and equipment for added protection.

Bill,

You have no worries whatsoever! There are numerous pumps on the market that have anti-freeze detection. (turns on if the temperature reaches a certain level). But with those temps you have nothing to worry about. For peace of mind, run your pump during the below freezing temps then turn it back off after it warms up.

Our freeze protection starts the pump automatically and cycles it on and off whenever the temperature goes down to 33 degrees. We've had our pool for 8 years now and have never had any freeze issues even with a cold snap of below freezing weather for 40 hours we had about 3 years ago. If you have freeze protection on your control panel and it's activated you'll be fine. By the way our poo water is sitting at 49 right now.

Boland01 said:
Our freeze protection starts the pump automatically and cycles it on and off whenever the temperature goes down to 33 degrees. We've had our pool for 8 years now and have never had any freeze issues even with a cold snap of below freezing weather for 40 hours we had about 3 years ago. If you have freeze protection on your control panel and it's activated you'll be fine. By the way our poo water is sitting at 49 right now.
Ditto!!! It doesn't normally get too cold here in SC, but this year isn't normal. I installed the intermatic digital timer with freeze sensor this fall before it got cold. Now I never have to worry about my pumps or plumbing freezing. Best $180 I've spent on my pool equipment!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.