Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Running pool in Winter

1. Back To Top    #1

Running pool in Winter

As I mentioned in another post, I'm running my pool this Winter.
    In previous years this has never been a problem.
    It's been a lot colder this Winter.

I estimate my water to be about 45 degrees.
    Tomorrow will be H 62 L30
    Monday will be H 39 L 19
    Tuesday - H 34 L 19

Then it warms up again.

I'm wondering if I should drain the pump and filter tomorrow.
    With the temps posted above, is there a chance the pump could freeze even if I keep it running?
    Thanks for any advice I can get.
    10,000 gal / Plaster / Cartridge Filter / 1 1/2 HP pump motor/ TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Running pool in Winter

With the pump running, it won't stay cold enough for long enough to damage anything. The main risk is if you lose electricity and the pump stops.

Will it be windy at your equipment pad? You could also throw a tarp over the above-ground pipes and equipment for added protection.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

3. Back To Top    #3

The equipment is exposed to the North wind.
    I don't have a tarp but I'll get a small one tomorrow.
    Thanks for the advice.

4. Back To Top    #4

I wonder how likely it would be for the pump motor to set the tarp on fire.

5. Back To Top    #5

Bill,

You have no worries whatsoever! There are numerous pumps on the market that have anti-freeze detection. (turns on if the temperature reaches a certain level). But with those temps you have nothing to worry about. For peace of mind, run your pump during the below freezing temps then turn it back off after it warms up.
    2014, IG 20,000 gl 18x34 Vinyl Liner / Waterfall / SWG / Sand Filter /
    Dolphin M4 Robot / TF-100 Test Kit is used / Beer is consumed /
    *Stamped Concrete Decking*

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

+1 what curtsam said.

While probably no huge deal, I would also be reluctant to cover the running pump motor.....they generate quite a bit of heat.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Our freeze protection starts the pump automatically and cycles it on and off whenever the temperature goes down to 33 degrees. We've had our pool for 8 years now and have never had any freeze issues even with a cold snap of below freezing weather for 40 hours we had about 3 years ago. If you have freeze protection on your control panel and it's activated you'll be fine. By the way our poo water is sitting at 49 right now.
    28,000 gallon salt water pool
    DE Filter
    Inground plaster construction
    1-1/4 hp pump with 1hp booster pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Boland01
    Our freeze protection starts the pump automatically and cycles it on and off whenever the temperature goes down to 33 degrees. We've had our pool for 8 years now and have never had any freeze issues even with a cold snap of below freezing weather for 40 hours we had about 3 years ago. If you have freeze protection on your control panel and it's activated you'll be fine. By the way our poo water is sitting at 49 right now.
    Ditto!!! It doesn't normally get too cold here in SC, but this year isn't normal. I installed the intermatic digital timer with freeze sensor this fall before it got cold. Now I never have to worry about my pumps or plumbing freezing. Best $180 I've spent on my pool equipment!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter