Hayward Navigator opinions?

May 29, 2013
The pool cleaner that came with my home purchase 8 months ago is on its last legs. It is an older model hayward that worked well until now. I have a small pool and a suction style is fine for our needs. Any thoughts on the Navigator? I've heard good and bad. Thanks!

Jmerich said:
The pool cleaner that came with my home purchase 8 months ago is on its last legs. It is an older model hayward that worked well until now. I have a small pool and a suction style is fine for our needs. Any thoughts on the Navigator? I've heard good and bad. Thanks!
In my experience, the Navigator and it's multitude of variations do one of the best jobs of cleaning a pool. The downside is that they are the worst for longevity. Plan on replacing parts every 12 to 18 months.

I tend to drift towards the types that have one moving part - like the Barracuda and my favorite, the Pentair Kreepy Kruiser. The Kruiser is the only vac I know of that comes with a 2 year warranty.

I started with a Kreepy Krauler, cleaned well just always getting stuck in my pool. Replaced it with a Navigator about 7 years ago, works but like other say it is Pool Shops dream.... I have replaced almost everything other than the hoses and other shell at least 3 times, shoes and flaps are lucky to last a year. Parts really add up on this thing.

When I told my pool shop owner I just bought the Poolcleaner, he looked upset and told me I would not be happy and that the parts are way more expensive than the Navigator..... I guessing is angered by seeing another customer get clean from a navigator replacement parts addiction.

I based my purchase of the Poolcleaner on countless positive reviews.... So I am hopeful that is works as well as every says.

Doug

I have the Navigator Pro XL. I was initially not a fan, but going through my learning curve and lets say a unit Break-in period, I'm pleasantly surprised with the performance; I'll give it a 7 of 10. Using original internal parts/flaps since December 2012 with no issues since. I've found replacement parts on-line inexpensive. If you care to read, my saga is here http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/52886-Hayward-Navigator-Problems-Solved

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.