Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine in Winter

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine in Winter

I'm running my pool through the Winter.
    I've still been testing and keeping the proper balance.
    Is there any use in maintaining a chlorine level when the water is probably around 45 degrees?
    10,000 gal / Plaster / Cartridge Filter / 1 1/2 HP pump motor/ TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Chlorine in Winter

Yes, I would maintain an FC level. You can bring your FC level up to SLAM level for your CYA level. With the colder water temp your FC level will hold a lot longer.

Algae can start at water temps around 60. Plus or minus a few degrees.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Chlorine in Winter

The chlorine continues to keep the water sanitary which is the main reason I maintain it during the winter. As noted, algae growth slows dramatically, and isn't as much of an issue. But chlorine consumption also drops dramatically, so it's easy to maintain.

Note that there is no reason to bring FC up to SLAM level if you're keeping your pool open unless you prefer to do that versus maintaining normal levels.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

4. Back To Top    #4

At any rate I would maintain FC levels. There would be no harm if done with either method. Choice is yours.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just as a gage - in Houston, water temp 55-50 for the last few weeks (outside temp low 32-high 60), I have only been adding 1 cup of bleach every other day. Really slow consumption. FYI: PH/AK same, holds for weeks sometimes.
    13200 gal, IG, plaster, built 1985, replastered 2012, Mytilus MA-90C cartridge filter, 2716 Blue Line In-ground Pump and Motor (1 HP), (manual clean/brush/test with Taylor K-2006, TFP since 2012) in Northwest Houston TX

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by BillB
    I'm running my pool through the Winter.
    I've still been testing and keeping the proper balance.
    Is there any use in maintaining a chlorine level when the water is probably around 45 degrees?
    Yes. It's easier to prevent algae than get rid of it. Instead of fussing around with a cup at a time, I raise FC a couple points above minimum and go a few days or a week between additions.

All it takes is a good winter storm to blow all kinds of organic material in the pool and all your chlorine will get used up overnight.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

oh, I apologize, forgot to say - CYA 50, FC 9, CC-0 - one cup every other/or two days keeps it right there.
    13200 gal, IG, plaster, built 1985, replastered 2012, Mytilus MA-90C cartridge filter, 2716 Blue Line In-ground Pump and Motor (1 HP), (manual clean/brush/test with Taylor K-2006, TFP since 2012) in Northwest Houston TX