Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to move/enclose equipment - where to start?

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to move/enclose equipment - where to start?

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to get started on a project to move and enclose my pool equipment.

Basics - 20k gallon unground pool, Hayward SP4010 1.5HP Northstar 2speed pump, Hayward 6060 boost pump, Hayward H400FDN heater, Hayward DE4820 filter, Intermatic timer, Hayward Colorlogic LED light- in Houston TX.

Here's what the builder put in:

I'm tired of looking at it, and more importantly, tired of listening to it. The pump is so loud I can hear it inside my house 30 feet away. (That's a separate issue too, I'm trying to decide whether to repair or replace it. It's only 3 years old, but I'm wondering if a new Pentair would be a better choice.)

Our fence sits on the neighbors property, and we've made an agreement with them to relocate it. I have to have the fence moved to the right, approximately 4' in the back, so that the telephone pole is on the other side.

So the equipment is going to need to be moved around, like flipping it 90 degrees to the right. I'd like to replace the 2 prefab concrete blocks with a poured slab, as over time they've settled and shifted and the equipment isn't sitting level. Then I'd like to enclose it in a shed, with the appropriate Hayward vent kit. Finally, it would be nice not to have to hike out into the backyard to get to the controls. Either moved to the patio or have some kind of remote control for it, especially the lights. Any suggestions on this are appreciated.

This is not a DIY project for me. The pool builder isn't interested in doing it. Since this involves construction (and permitting), electrical work, and plumbing (which probably should be done by someone who knows about pools), am I going to need to coordinate and contract this all out myself? I really don't know where to start!
    [email=wcdavis@gmail.com:2rslk9zh]Walter Davis[/email:2rslk9zh]
    Richmond, TX

[sub:2rslk9zh]23.5'x38' IG freeform pool ~ 28,000 gallons ~ 110 perimeter ~ 40 sq ft spa w/multi-tier spillover ~ Flagstone coping & walls ~ Gunite shell w/Beadcrete Pebble finish ~ Color Logic LED lights ~ 3 scupper waterfalls ~ 11' tanning ledge ~ Hayward Equip (525 Cartridge Filter ~ 1.5 HP Tristar 2 speed pump ~ 1 HP Tristar waterfall pump ~ 400k BTU Low NOX heater ~ Goldline Salt System ~ Aqua Logic PS8 w/Wireless Aqua-Pod) ~ Polaris 480 ~ TF-100 Test Kit ~ Our Build Thread[/sub:2rslk9zh]

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to move/enclose equipment - where to start?

Image missing.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry, google drive wasn't cooperative. The image is fixed now.
    Richmond, TX

[sub:2rslk9zh]23.5'x38' IG freeform pool ~ 28,000 gallons ~ 110 perimeter ~ 40 sq ft spa w/multi-tier spillover ~ Flagstone coping & walls ~ Gunite shell w/Beadcrete Pebble finish ~ Color Logic LED lights ~ 3 scupper waterfalls ~ 11' tanning ledge ~ Hayward Equip (525 Cartridge Filter ~ 1.5 HP Tristar 2 speed pump ~ 1 HP Tristar waterfall pump ~ 400k BTU Low NOX heater ~ Goldline Salt System ~ Aqua Logic PS8 w/Wireless Aqua-Pod) ~ Polaris 480 ~ TF-100 Test Kit ~ Our Build Thread[/sub:2rslk9zh]

4. Back To Top    #4

Would reducing the noise of the pump help at all? A new pump shouldn't be that loud. Can you post a video/audio of the pump? It could be something to do with the plumbing so pictures of the pad would be useful.

Do you have a spa? What is the reason for such a large pump?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's some video:

Reducing the noise will help, I'm arranging to have the pump serviced. But I'd still like the equipment enclosed or hidden, not just sitting out in the middle of the yard.

There's no spa in the pool, I don't know if the pump is large or not - it's what came with the pool.
    Richmond, TX

6. Back To Top    #6

Why not put in a raised be like you have to right of the image to block the noise, or some plantings. Mark is the local pump expert.

I wouldn't move the equipment unless it absolutely was required. Plantings around it or fence would also be nice. Or a shed with plantings around it would also work.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

Your pump sounds like a bad bearing or something caught in the impeller. More like something caught in the impeller.

8. Back To Top    #8

Why not just build a shed over it where it sits now and vent the sides/back where it doesn't face the house. Then landscape it with shrubs or such. Whole lot cheaper!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

9. Back To Top    #9

That almost sounds a bad centrifugal switch but the Northstar doesn't normally have one. What ever it is, they need to fix it because that is not normal. The motor doesn't look stock nor new. How old is the pool?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Where in Houston are you??? I would throw the Northstar away and go with something else. They stopped making the Northstar a couple of years ago and in Hayward fashion parts will be hard to find soon.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for the replies. I'd be happy not to have to move anything, but I must move the fence, and it will be running right next to the heater.
    I did arrange to have the pump looked at, I'll have to figure out if its better to repair or replace depending on what I'm quoted for each. It was definitely new in the box in the summer of 2011.
    Richmond, TX

12. Back To Top    #12

I actually enclosed mine with a bunch of cinder blocks stacked up and put shutters on either side to allow venting. I made plywood cover and painted everything green and planted some greenery around it to disguise it.
    IG Gunnite Pool Size: 25K gallons (20 x 40, 3'6" to 6" depth) with 2 huge Baker Hydro cartridge filters under the skimmer baskets on the suction side, 2 mech timers
    BRAND NEW PLASTER! Quartzscapes/Diamondbrite, Newer Polaris 280, Brand New Hayward Maxflo VS, Brand New Pentair Intelichlor
    I will conquer the black algae this pool season!!!

13. Back To Top    #13

Yay! Pump problem solved with a new Pentair Whisperflo. I have to keep walking over there to make sure it's running

If the heater can live up against a wooden fence, I'm inclined to leave it where it is and talk woodyp's suggestion... maybe a faux shed with 2 sides and cover. Pool tech who installed the pump didn't think the precast slabs not being terribly level are a problem.
    Richmond, TX

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by mrswhitsie
    I actually enclosed mine with a bunch of cinder blocks stacked up and put shutters on either side to allow venting. I made plywood cover and painted everything green and planted some greenery around it to disguise it.
    I'd love to see a pic of what you've done.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain