New in town. Winterize or not?

Sorry for the lack of info. 15x36 IG fiberglass 15,400 gallon pool. Sand filter and 1HP pump. Located in central GA (Warner Robins). Temps this week are down in the teens at night getting up to the 40s and 50s during the day. I run my pump (on a timer) to circulate water during the "freezing" hours.

It looks like it is extremely rare for the temperature to stay below freezing for 24 hours in your location. (I love this site: http://weatherspark.com/history/31946/2 ... ted-States). You can get high winds coupled with some of those dips to freezing, though. It looks like there is extremely low risk of damage to the pool based on the freezing intervals that you experience.

Running the pump removes any risk as long as the electricity doesn't fail. (This isn't necessary for you to do in most freezing spells since it just dips to freezing for such short periods, unless high winds from the north accompany the freezing interval.)

I live in SW Georgia and I do not winterize. I run my pool 6 hours a day in the winter unless a freeze is expected, then I run it all night. Chemical cost are less than $15 per month in the winter months and electrical is under $50. I choose not to winterize because our pool is apart of the landscape of our back yard and a cover would take away from the looks.

woodyp said:
You should be golden. Good idea to tarp the filter/pump/pipes going into ground as well. I also hang a 100 watt drop cord light under that tarp .

Yup, that's what we did last evening. A nice old quilted moving blanket covered by a plastic sheet, with an automotive hang light in there glowing all night long. It was a tad eerie looking to the neighbors I'm sure! Pump running 24/7 at the moment but once it warms up a bit we'll back that down to just run some during the night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.