Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New in town. Winterize or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

New in town. Winterize or not?

Hey, everyone. New to pool ownership. Had use of a new 15X36 fiberglass pool for about two months last summer. Other than the obvious energy and chemical savings, is winterizing necessary? Thank you.
    Barry, Central GA
    15X36 IG 14,200 gal fiberglass pool. Hayward Sand Filter with 1 HP Hayward SUPER PUMP. Pentaire "Kreepy Krawly Robotic Cleaner

e-mail: oso49@cox.net

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New in town. Winterize or not?

Welcome to TFP.

It really depends on where you're located and the probability of the power failing during freezing weather.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry for the lack of info. 15x36 IG fiberglass 15,400 gallon pool. Sand filter and 1HP pump. Located in central GA (Warner Robins). Temps this week are down in the teens at night getting up to the 40s and 50s during the day. I run my pump (on a timer) to circulate water during the "freezing" hours.
    Barry, Central GA
    15X36 IG 14,200 gal fiberglass pool. Hayward Sand Filter with 1 HP Hayward SUPER PUMP. Pentaire "Kreepy Krawly Robotic Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

It looks like it is extremely rare for the temperature to stay below freezing for 24 hours in your location. (I love this site: http://weatherspark.com/history/31946/2 ... ted-States). You can get high winds coupled with some of those dips to freezing, though. It looks like there is extremely low risk of damage to the pool based on the freezing intervals that you experience.

Running the pump removes any risk as long as the electricity doesn't fail. (This isn't necessary for you to do in most freezing spells since it just dips to freezing for such short periods, unless high winds from the north accompany the freezing interval.)
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

5. Back To Top    #5

You should be golden. Good idea to tarp the filter/pump/pipes going into ground as well. I also hang a 100 watt drop cord light under that tarp .
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks all for the info. BTW, the temp is dipping to 13 tonight and 18 tomorrow night.
    Barry, Central GA

7. Back To Top    #7

I live in SW Georgia and I do not winterize. I run my pool 6 hours a day in the winter unless a freeze is expected, then I run it all night. Chemical cost are less than $15 per month in the winter months and electrical is under $50. I choose not to winterize because our pool is apart of the landscape of our back yard and a cover would take away from the looks.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    You should be golden. Good idea to tarp the filter/pump/pipes going into ground as well. I also hang a 100 watt drop cord light under that tarp .
    Yup, that's what we did last evening. A nice old quilted moving blanket covered by a plastic sheet, with an automotive hang light in there glowing all night long. It was a tad eerie looking to the neighbors I'm sure! Pump running 24/7 at the moment but once it warms up a bit we'll back that down to just run some during the night.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain