Pool Enclosures - Holy Cow !

zbigkid

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
Illinois
So probably like any homeowner with a new pool, who lives in the midwest near Chicago, and with a short 3 to 4 month swimming season, I decided to investigate pool enclosures. I'm thinking they are not likely inexpensive, but I wasn't at all prepared for this:

Option 1 - retractable enclosure, nothing fancy. $110,000. Dynadome.

Option 2 - fixed enclosure, small footprint around pool (i.e. not covering a lot of the surrounding concrete deck) $380,000 Solar Innovations. :shock:

Option 3 - thermal wet suit, and a hot propane patio heater. $300 :party:

Needless to say, there are a slew of other options from Greenhouse companies who'll sell you prefab enclosures that would easily cover a pool for around $13,000, and allow you to swim at least 9 months of the year, to inflatable domes that are under $10,000.

With a pool that cost $41,000, options 1 and 2 are clearly out of the question. I probably would "spring" for a retractable of some sort were it in the ballpark of $30,000. But clearly that Option seems unlikely to exist unless I want my backyard to look like something located out in some rural area where carports, large green houses, and rusty cars sitting in the yards are the norm.

What was I thinking ??? :hammer:

Yep, the prices ARE insane. I looked at Aquashield's website, but unfortunately they don't have a solution that would fit over our slide, and the slide is not removable, so we are talking custom. Plus we have a Lazy L style, so to go 46' total, with an angle, or two enclosures from each end, is still big bux.

IDK. I'm going to have to let this one gestate awhile. Something will come along, that will fit my budget, be functional, and still look nice.

WOW!! If only I were filthy, stinking rich!!
Option #1 looks sooooo awesome!! That sure is an amazing piece of kit for less than a 1/4 mil, pretty sick!!

Have you called AquaShield to see if they have anything that'd fit your pool? Maybe they have custom factory order models that are very reasonably priced. Worth a shot, eh?
They're a USA company too, made here, HOW COOL IS THAT!! :D

jblizzle said:
:lol: @ Option 3
HAHA!! Yeah! :mrgreen:
Winter pool party in zbigkid's pool. :party:

Craig, thanks for that link to Aquashield! It may be a couple of years, but that's on my wish list now! (You know, as a retirement gift to myself once the house is paid off!)
My h and I had looked at a house with an indoor pool, but I didn't like the fact it couldn't be opened up, as I do enjoy the seasons. The telescoping models though seem to have the best of both ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CraigMW said:
http://www.aquashield.com/models/aquashieldspecials.html
Does anyone have an educated speculation as to what it would cost to heat a pool with one of these, would it be similar to using a gas heater to heat an AGP w/ a solar cover on it?

I'm thinking hypothetically if using one of these aqua shields (and using a solar cover to retain the maximum heat when not in use) how much natural gas would it take to keep the temp in the upper 80s..?

Not that I have 2k/mo to spend on a setup like this, but it's definitely intriguing.

For above ground, you probably would still need natural gas to keep it that warm, depending where you live. Who knows, if you are in a southern state, you may not need any supplemental heating. Think "greenhouse" and how hot those can get. My understanding is at least some of the enclosures are designed such that the sun keeps it more than sufficiently warm, and if anything you need to open the ventilation to keep it from getting TOO warm. (at least thats what I've heard relating to in-ground pools from a Pool Enclosure rep at one of the pool enclosure firms that sells these.) If you had extensive cloudy days, and not much in the way of insulation with the glass or polycarbonate, you'd likely need to supplement it with natural gas heating.

If the sun dome does 1/2 of what it's said to do, I would be swimming today :)

+40* ambient and +20* water temp.

I can't imagine how difficult it would be to manage the solar cover inside that, assuming that it would make any significant difference (holding water temp overnight).

The vinyl ones can't?
Why not?

I would think that it'd stay warm enough inside the dome, that the radiated heat would melt the snow, or not stick in the 1st place. Might have to blow it off once and a while.
How do they hold up to wind, say 35-45mph /w 60-70mph gusts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.