Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Enclosures - Holy Cow !

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Enclosures - Holy Cow !

So probably like any homeowner with a new pool, who lives in the midwest near Chicago, and with a short 3 to 4 month swimming season, I decided to investigate pool enclosures. I'm thinking they are not likely inexpensive, but I wasn't at all prepared for this:

Option 1 - retractable enclosure, nothing fancy. $110,000. Dynadome.

Option 2 - fixed enclosure, small footprint around pool (i.e. not covering a lot of the surrounding concrete deck) $380,000 Solar Innovations.

Option 3 - thermal wet suit, and a hot propane patio heater. $300

Needless to say, there are a slew of other options from Greenhouse companies who'll sell you prefab enclosures that would easily cover a pool for around $13,000, and allow you to swim at least 9 months of the year, to inflatable domes that are under $10,000.

With a pool that cost $41,000, options 1 and 2 are clearly out of the question. I probably would "spring" for a retractable of some sort were it in the ballpark of $30,000. But clearly that Option seems unlikely to exist unless I want my backyard to look like something located out in some rural area where carports, large green houses, and rusty cars sitting in the yards are the norm.

What was I thinking ???
    Lazy-L Pool, vinyl liner, 29,000 gallons, 8 ft deep end, 18'ft wide, ~46' on longest side. 796 total square footage. Hayward 250kbtu heater, Hayward Cartridge filter, in-line chlorinator,Bioguard 1" silk Tabs. Hayward 2 speed 1.5 hp pump. Solar cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Enclosures - Holy Cow !

This place sells enclosures and the prices look much better than what you've found:

http://www.aquashield.com/models/aquash ... cials.html

Still expensive, but not more than the price of the house sitting next to the pool. Those numbers you quoted are insane!
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

3. Back To Top    #3

@ Option 3
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep, the prices ARE insane. I looked at Aquashield's website, but unfortunately they don't have a solution that would fit over our slide, and the slide is not removable, so we are talking custom. Plus we have a Lazy L style, so to go 46' total, with an angle, or two enclosures from each end, is still big bux.

IDK. I'm going to have to let this one gestate awhile. Something will come along, that will fit my budget, be functional, and still look nice.
    Lazy-L Pool, vinyl liner, 29,000 gallons, 8 ft deep end, 18'ft wide, ~46' on longest side. 796 total square footage. Hayward 250kbtu heater, Hayward Cartridge filter, in-line chlorinator,Bioguard 1" silk Tabs. Hayward 2 speed 1.5 hp pump. Solar cover.

5. Back To Top    #5

WOW!! If only I were filthy, stinking rich!!
    Option #1 looks sooooo awesome!! That sure is an amazing piece of kit for less than a 1/4 mil, pretty sick!!

Have you called AquaShield to see if they have anything that'd fit your pool? Maybe they have custom factory order models that are very reasonably priced. Worth a shot, eh?
    They're a USA company too, made here, HOW COOL IS THAT!!

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    @ Option 3
    HAHA!! Yeah!
    Winter pool party in zbigkid's pool.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Maybe a membership to the local YMCA would be worth it.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

Craig, thanks for that link to Aquashield! It may be a couple of years, but that's on my wish list now! (You know, as a retirement gift to myself once the house is paid off!)
    My h and I had looked at a house with an indoor pool, but I didn't like the fact it couldn't be opened up, as I do enjoy the seasons. The telescoping models though seem to have the best of both
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

8. Back To Top    #8

Or just move to Florida.

9. Back To Top    #9

I'd miss the season changes
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

For those prices you could buy a nice house with a pool here in Arizona.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

or several nice homes, with nice enclosed pools in FL LOL

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by CraigMW
    http://www.aquashield.com/models/aquashieldspecials.html
    Does anyone have an educated speculation as to what it would cost to heat a pool with one of these, would it be similar to using a gas heater to heat an AGP w/ a solar cover on it?

I'm thinking hypothetically if using one of these aqua shields (and using a solar cover to retain the maximum heat when not in use) how much natural gas would it take to keep the temp in the upper 80s..?

Not that I have 2k/mo to spend on a setup like this, but it's definitely intriguing.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]