Middle Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Middle Tennessee is going to have some really cold weather - high 15 low 1! Unusual for us in these here parts to say the least. Pool has not been closed as we thought we would try to leave open this winter to see how it would work. Last few winters have been mild. We have freeze protection on pump so it pretty much running 24/7. We put a tarp over equipment pad with incandescent light bulb (probably one of the last ones in the country). Is this going to be enough? A suggestion the PB made was to use heat tape; however, I am not familiar with it enough to know if that would work. One last thought would be to use a small construction heater. Pad is right next to house if that helps any.

I did read several posts on cold weather options but just need to be sure we do the beset we can to protect pipes.

Any thoughts?

Hi Ksnewman! :wave: I too am in Mid TN...Hermitage to be exact. We certainly are having some cold azzzzz weather! I am freezing!! But, I think you should be fine. I did close my pool this year but this is only the 2nd time out of the 7 years I've had it. I did get caught in a couple of pretty cold winters and came out of it fine...doing nothing near what you are doing! I would be a little nervous of possible fire with the tarp and the light bulb...but that's just me and how my world operates! :lol: I would just keep an eye on things making sure there are no leaks or anything. I found out the hard way.... a very small leak out of the pump turned into an ice sculpture! :shock: As long as the water moves, nothing should freeze up....

If you have power it should be no worry. Heat tape is ok, but a small heater and or lamp under the tarp is easier.

The house blocking some wind will help too, provided it's from the right direction.

If you lose power, bulbs and heat tape are a moot point unless you have a generator.If that happens, you'll have to drain and purge everything at the pad as well as you can.

Sorry to sound so grim, but there really aren't many choices I can think of. Pray for power!

Thanks for the replies. It makes me feel better. Will keep an eye on leaks. We seldom lose power so but I know it can happen. Mope fully we won't cross that bridge. DH wasn't real happy about helping me with tarp last night with windchill of 9. :shock:

Mitngal, this weather is crazy and we got snow as well. I am just down the road east of you.. Glad to hear we aren't completely crazy for not closing pool. Stay warm!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.