Pool Coping

nicpppardo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2013
There are a few "chips" in our concrete pool coping that we need to patch. When I got closer and touched it, underneath the concrete is a very squishy type of material. What is this? Is it normal and safe to use normal concrete sealers? Our coping got eaten up a bit when randomly, with our abnormally cold weather in SoCal, salt seemed to eat away and certain spots of the concrete. I've been washing it away as best I can but keeps reappearing. Really need to get this thing sealed!!

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picture attached! It is squishy like it must be foam underneath??
6uvunysa.jpg

If you follow the expansion joint from the right, it seems to coincide with the hole. I'm thinking that it was intended to be an expansion joint there. I would suspect that the other holes might be the same thing. Is the expansion joint to the right filled with grout or flexible sealant?

I am going to say flexible sealant because when I press on it, it's "squishy" as well.

Another question to add on to it- here's a picture of the flexible sealant where is it cracking pretty badly.... How do I replace this? Is it ok to just replace this section? What product do you recommend or is this not a DIY type of thing?

Thanks for all of your help!

uqusasyd.jpg
utunevaq.jpg

A sealant like Vulkem 45 SSL (Semi-Self Leveling) will work. You should be able to find a color that matches. You should be able to cut out the old caulk with a razor type knife. The caulk can be somewhat difficult to work with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.