Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Coping

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Coping

There are a few "chips" in our concrete pool coping that we need to patch. When I got closer and touched it, underneath the concrete is a very squishy type of material. What is this? Is it normal and safe to use normal concrete sealers? Our coping got eaten up a bit when randomly, with our abnormally cold weather in SoCal, salt seemed to eat away and certain spots of the concrete. I've been washing it away as best I can but keeps reappearing. Really need to get this thing sealed!!

Thank you!

13,000 gallon plaster salt water pool. Jandy DEV60 filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG (APURE1400)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Coping

Can you post a picture of it? Squishy as in spongy, or just very soft degraded concrete?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Picture attached! It is squishy like it must be foam underneath??

13,000 gallon plaster salt water pool. Jandy DEV60 filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG (APURE1400)

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you post a picture from farther away?

It looks like they might have concreted over an expansion joint.

5. Back To Top    #5

The white dot to the right of the arrow is where this is located. However, this foam appears in other "holes" we've had to patch all around.

Thank you!

6. Back To Top    #6

If you follow the expansion joint from the right, it seems to coincide with the hole. I'm thinking that it was intended to be an expansion joint there. I would suspect that the other holes might be the same thing. Is the expansion joint to the right filled with grout or flexible sealant?

7. Back To Top    #7

I am going to say flexible sealant because when I press on it, it's "squishy" as well.

Another question to add on to it- here's a picture of the flexible sealant where is it cracking pretty badly.... How do I replace this? Is it ok to just replace this section? What product do you recommend or is this not a DIY type of thing?

Thanks for all of your help!

8. Back To Top    #8

A sealant like Vulkem 45 SSL (Semi-Self Leveling) will work. You should be able to find a color that matches. You should be able to cut out the old caulk with a razor type knife. The caulk can be somewhat difficult to work with.