Low Pressure / Pump turns off after a few minutes

ehurst said:
jerryt said:
I would say, "Time to call an electrician".

Wire to L2 would not normally be found completing the circuit, but missing voltage. (Neutral wire)
Thanks for the info. I will be calling one soon. However, since the motor was running 230 volts, there should not be a neutral wire. My understanding is the wire to L2 should actually be 115 volts like L1.

Correct, and normally wires "Open" or "Short". But in this case it is attached to a neutral line, very unusual...

Thanks for everyone's help. You all pointed me into the right direction to identify my problem. Based on your suggestions and some testing on my end I found the "a" wire from the breaker is bad. As a test and a very temporary work-around. I removed the wire ("e") from the breaker for my pool light and also from the GFCI back by the timer and used it in place of the bad wire at both the breaker and timer. I tested it before hand and it was 115 volts.

So now my pump motor is running like a top. But now I have a long road ahead of me. I know my pool equipment is pretty old. When I had a tech come and look at it when I first bought the house and have him teach me a few things, he said the stuff belonged in a museum. However, I have replaced all the above ground PVC, installed a new salt cell, and a new valve for my sand filter. I knew I would need to slowly replace stuff. Now at the top of my list is all new wiring from the breaker box to the timer box. Probably a new timer while I am at it.

Attachments

• timer1.jpg
    timer1.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 17
Just to close out this project. I buried new conduit and pulled new wire. Come to find out, 14 AWG was what the old wire was, no wonder it crapped out. In my research, it was suggested not to use anything less than 12 AWG and I pulled 10 AWG just to be safe. Everything is running great and pool is crystal clear. Now if only I had a heater....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.