Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to remove/replace the union fitting on top of pump

1. Back To Top    #1

How to remove/replace the union fitting on top of pump

Hello. I'm a new member and need some help. I'm a novice but can do some repair work on my equipment.

I have a Hayward Northstar pump and the union fitting on top of the pump just stared to leak, I figure the gasket. The pump is prior to year 2007 as far as replacement parts. It looks like it is threaded at the pump. My question is can I just unscrew the fitting at the pump and replace the gasket or maybe the kit? Or does the glued part of the pipe need be removed/cut?
    23K, IG, Gunite, Raised Spa with waterfall, Hayward 2hp 2 speed pump, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter model 5025, SmartPure Oxidizer, Inline chlorinator, AquaLink RS PDA, Polaris 360 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to remove/replace the union fitting on top of pump

Welcome to TFP!

If the pump uses a union fitting, then you can just unscrew it and check if the o ring is damaged. You should not need to cut any pipes unless the pump connection is a threaded fitting and not a union.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what jblizzle said
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick reply. Enclosed are pics to ensure I described the fitting correctly. The leak is underneath the screw/nut. If the union fitting is unscrewed are there any precautions? Will it take a strap wrench or?
    As you can see there is an Jandy valve actuator, hopefully I will not have to remove it.

23K, IG, Gunite, Raised Spa with waterfall, Hayward 2hp 2 speed pump, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter model 5025, SmartPure Oxidizer, Inline chlorinator, AquaLink RS PDA, Polaris 360 cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Only precaution is to have the pump off. Might need strap wrench ... Might only need your hands.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Only precaution is to have the pump off. Might need strap wrench ... Might only need your hands.
    Thanks for the feedback. The weather should be above freezing in a few days, I will get the part and give it a try.

7. Back To Top    #7

I would open it up to determine of you actually need a new part before you buy one.
    Jason, TFP Moderator