Pavers vs Stamped Concrete?

Dec 7, 2013
Hi-

Any opinions on what is better via quality and appearance of pavers vs stamped concrete? How about cost? I live in southern New York, have an in ground 20x32 vinyl liner pool. Considering stamped concretete vs pavers. Any guidance or opinion? One contractor told me stamped concrete durability is not as good as pavers? Truth to this? Thanks in advance!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are planning to go with pavers when we install this spring. We like the look of both but figure if we have any issues with plumbing or settling it will be an easier fix with pavers. Also, it is a more DIY friendly project than stamped would be for a professional looking finish.

We were in the same boat and we were considering pavers ove stamped concrete. However after visiting our supply yard we changed our mind and went with travertine from travertinemart. We did it because pavers in our priced range were mostly brussel block style with very heavy chiseled edges. It seems that it would be very hard on feet to walk on. there is a huge price difference between different styles/models, so keep that in mind.

Boy if we didn't debate this question for months! We ultimately decided on pavers, to be installed in the spring on a 1300' sq ft patio. I just wanted the ability to pull them up if needed and not have to cut, and if one does crack, I can easily replace one paver, vs a crack in concrete.

Down south we can use a concrete base for pavers. I'm considering this exact question. We'll be adding about 600 sf of patio to out existing 400sf of stamped overlay when we do out pool. I don't think they can match up 7 year old stamped overlay with stamped new pour patio. So I was thinking of scraping up the whole overlay and having a uniform travertine paver patio. I think I'd have to put pavers on concrete because the extended patio will basically be a back filled elevation behind a retaining wall to level it out with the existing patio.

I chose pavers for all the reasons listed above. I did have plumbing problems and had to pull the pavers out to fix the problems (yes plural). After the pavers were replaced you could not tell anything had happened. Had I had stamped concrete or cool deck I think it would be very hard to match the color thus it would be a constant reminder of the problem for years to come.

I would much rather have poured and stamped concrete any day. Options are limited only by person finishing the concrete. It is amazing what they can do these days. However, let's get real......cost.......I have a concrete products plant withing 20 minutes of my house. They offer all the advice/tricks of the trade you are willing to grasp.....fortunately, they LOVE the DIY guy. And plenty of pavers too.

I needed to expand my concrete patio when I decided on the old AGP. I considered the poured concrete option but 1.) I hate to sound paranoid, but I don't need or want strange people in my back yard. 2.) Have you seen what these people want for this stuff these days? I elected to do the paver thing and am glad I did. I was able to get a truck load at a time, take my time digging and building and everything came out great and price was right. Even had the kids out there digging so they at least have seen how to do this a couple of times now. They didn't particularly care to be doing the grunt work, but they sure like to emphasize the case that THEY helped put the big patio in that the nice pool sits on.

I haven't had to pull up any paver for repair work underneath, but I have pulled them up to add another electrical line or my favorite was to add a Cat5 line for a POE camera so we can monitor the pool for inside if needed. Can't do that with a solid concrete patio very easily!!

Bob E.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.