Pavers vs Stamped Concrete?

Jro33176,

i agree. After 20 months my travertine has been re leveled twice. Both times were covered under my installers warranty. Actually he told me they would settle and included the two in my installation cost. I think they have pretty much done all the settling since I am on very flat land. They have not moved much since the last visit but I can see it needing it again within a few years. I would rather deal with that than a huge crack in a scored concrete deck. I have a friend in New Orleans who did a faux travertine stamped concrete deck when she remodeled their pool. Within a few months 2 sections had cracks that made it look more like a cheap concrete job than real travertine. I will take the real thing anyday. The leveling and and constant weed pulling are well worth it.

I agree ComputerGuy! I love my pavers (they are being installed now). My neighbor chose the same pavers 7 years ago so I am aware of the issue. What is your soil base? I wonder if that can affect the amount of settling someone will experience.

Jro33176,

i am am just north of New Orleans about 1 mile from Lake Ponchartrain on the north side. We have a high water table and a sand and soft soil base. I am about 17 feet above sea level but the landscape here is very flat and we have very little runoff. We were really lucky in that the cost of travertine was actually cheaper than scored and stained concrete. Given that I have read too many posts on here about jackhammering concrete to think about anything other than pavers. I am sure that this is all contingent on your local soil conditions and elevation. I hope your installation goes well. Good luck.

Jro,

I think you will do much better with the lime rock base. That must be unusual in Miami! My biggest issue is the weeds and grass. I shouldn't complain, it only takes about ten minutes a week with a spray bottle with vinegar and water. At least I am not listening to a jackhammer! LoL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We went with pavers for all of the reasons stated, just finished a couple of weeks ago and we had to deal with 2 leaking issues.

The first was when they were laying out the outline of the job they drove a metal stake into one of the return lines! @#$%^&*()$#@
Dumb but easy to fix

The second was that after the job was done one of the irrigation lines under the pavers had a leak and with the right tool it was a simple job of removing the paver stones, fixing the leak, re-bedding the sand base & re-install the stones. Our pavers are 3 different sizes with the largest one about 50lbs. No sweat with the tool which looks like a fancy Ice block tongs.

wrestling with this decision also, any opinions pavers vs concrete for a renovation for a southeast PA location? We currently have an 18 year old concrete deck with cantilever coping (which is ok but a bit unsightly since cracks developed after 5 years in the water side above the tile ..I patched with pool repair caulk 'foxy poxy' or something like that about 10 years ago with no additional cracking)
also 2 or 3 long hairline cracks in the decking developed after 3 years.

so I wanted to replace the deck which means new coping which means new tile..then may as will re-plaster the pool. My pool tile is pretty solid still (don't lose any tiles) and no cracks in the plaster just some staining from a late open one year.

any opinions on pavers vs concrete.....I know pavers will be more expensive....trying to see if the $30K to $40K will be worth it (total reno appox cost) or if I get stamped concrete will it be cracked again in 3 years again....

I have stamped concrete. Yes I have a few minor cracks. This is even with saw cut lines throughout. Overall It looks great. I'm still very happy with my decision. Pavers was just not in the budget. Would I do stamped concrete again, yes I would. What I would do differently is I would use pavers for the coping the next time around. This would of prevented some minor cracks developing. If I remember correctly it was around 8.00 a sq ft difference from the stamped concrete to pavers. I guess every location will be different.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.