Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pavers vs Stamped Concrete?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pavers vs Stamped Concrete?

Hi-

Any opinions on what is better via quality and appearance of pavers vs stamped concrete? How about cost? I live in southern New York, have an in ground 20x32 vinyl liner pool. Considering stamped concretete vs pavers. Any guidance or opinion? One contractor told me stamped concrete durability is not as good as pavers? Truth to this? Thanks in advance!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pavers vs Stamped Concrete?

Stamped and dyed concrete will actually get you pretty close to the cost of pavers. In my opinion, there is no comparison and we went with pavers for the look and my "perceived" durability. No real evidence that I know of where one will be more maintenance free than another.

My build link if you would like to take a look:

new-pool-construction-long-island-ny-t35844.html
    25K Gallon IG Vinyl Liner w/ concrete walls True "L" 16X32X16, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward Swimclear C4030 Filter, Hayward 21104T Heat Pro Titanium Heat Pump, Hayward Aqua Plus SWG + Automation, 2 Hayward Color Logic 4.0 LED lights, Polaris 9300 cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

I think pavers are a better idea. If you ever need any work done it much easier to remove pavers than concrete. And pavers can be reused.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

4. Back To Top    #4

I vote for stamped. Some of the stamped designs are really amazing nowadays. It's somewhat a matter of taste, but I think Stamped stays nicer overall in the long run.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Concrete cracks, and pavers float on the surface and generally don't crack.

So I suggest pavers
    Easytouch, Intelliflo, Intellichem, Acid tank with pump, Intellichlor and Autelis network interface.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jerryt
    Concrete cracks, and pavers float on the surface and generally don't crack.

So I suggest pavers
    I was thinking the same thing. And, if one or two crack it's easy enough to buy a couple and re-lay them. Purely opinion.
    -TC-

1996 - 15K gal | IG Plaster | 4.91 sqft Pentair Triton II - FR74 | Hayward Super ****** unknown HP | Polaris 5port Caretaker

7. Back To Top    #7

I think it's more taste than anything. Just like everything each has it's drawbacks and benefits.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Pavers vs Stamped Concrete?

Yep everybody has different tastes. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla !!

Go with what you like the most !!
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

Is the pool covered/screened in? Was just having a talk about this very issue. The stamped concrete may be easier to clean vice the pavers.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

10. Back To Top    #10

Pool is covered, not screened. Thanks for the advice all, appreciate it much!!!

11. Back To Top    #11

We are planning to go with pavers when we install this spring. We like the look of both but figure if we have any issues with plumbing or settling it will be an easier fix with pavers. Also, it is a more DIY friendly project than stamped would be for a professional looking finish.
    18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

12. Back To Top    #12

We were in the same boat and we were considering pavers ove stamped concrete. However after visiting our supply yard we changed our mind and went with travertine from travertinemart. We did it because pavers in our priced range were mostly brussel block style with very heavy chiseled edges. It seems that it would be very hard on feet to walk on. there is a huge price difference between different styles/models, so keep that in mind.
    Lagoon shape, 23,600 Gal, steel walls by International Swimming Pools, "ultra-seam" liner by Latham, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pump, PentAir CCP420 filter, Heat Siphon Z575HP, PentAir IC40 SWG, 2 LED Lights (Pentair Intellibrite 5G, 110V). 4 x 1.5’’return lines, 2 x 2’’skimmer lines, 1.5’’ waterfall line. All plumbing is "TigerFlex" pipe, all lines plumbed individually. Deck: travertine glued over concrete.

13. Back To Top    #13

Boy if we didn't debate this question for months! We ultimately decided on pavers, to be installed in the spring on a 1300' sq ft patio. I just wanted the ability to pull them up if needed and not have to cut, and if one does crack, I can easily replace one paver, vs a crack in concrete.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

14. Back To Top    #14

Survey says pavers. Thanks for all the input all, much appreciated.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by smithsean
    Survey says pavers. Thanks for all the input all, much appreciated.
    Are you doing concrete or sand base under pavers?

btw, here's some picks of my deck i-really-like-the-look-of-travertine-t64625.html#p605769
    Lagoon shape, 23,600 Gal, steel walls by International Swimming Pools, "ultra-seam" liner by Latham, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pump, PentAir CCP420 filter, Heat Siphon Z575HP, PentAir IC40 SWG, 2 LED Lights (Pentair Intellibrite 5G, 110V). 4 x 1.5’’return lines, 2 x 2’’skimmer lines, 1.5’’ waterfall line. All plumbing is "TigerFlex" pipe, all lines plumbed individually. Deck: travertine glued over concrete.

16. Back To Top    #16

Concrete under the pavers? Never heard of that. Can you explain more? Or maybe I'm misreading what you're saying.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

17. Back To Top    #17

Down south we can use a concrete base for pavers. I'm considering this exact question. We'll be adding about 600 sf of patio to out existing 400sf of stamped overlay when we do out pool. I don't think they can match up 7 year old stamped overlay with stamped new pour patio. So I was thinking of scraping up the whole overlay and having a uniform travertine paver patio. I think I'd have to put pavers on concrete because the extended patio will basically be a back filled elevation behind a retaining wall to level it out with the existing patio.
    IG 8,000gal 12.5'x28', 3HP Intelliflo VS Pump, DE FNS 60sf filter, Easytouch 8p, Screenlogic 2, Rainbow Automatic Chlorine Feeder, Dolphin Supreme M4 Robot, 3x columns w/sheer descents, Color Cascade Bubbler in ledge, Intellibrite 5G, Globrite LED on ledge, 3x Pentair Landscape Lights, 4x Kichler 15745 for patio stairs, 6 returns, 2 skimmers, white plaster w/meta-max and start-up tec, Cool-Deck, concrete coping, Oklahoma sandstone retaining wall

18. Back To Top    #18

I chose pavers for all the reasons listed above. I did have plumbing problems and had to pull the pavers out to fix the problems (yes plural). After the pavers were replaced you could not tell anything had happened. Had I had stamped concrete or cool deck I think it would be very hard to match the color thus it would be a constant reminder of the problem for years to come.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

19. Back To Top    #19

And you can always add to your deck as well, and have it blend right in.

20. Back To Top    #20

I would much rather have poured and stamped concrete any day. Options are limited only by person finishing the concrete. It is amazing what they can do these days. However, let's get real......cost.......I have a concrete products plant withing 20 minutes of my house. They offer all the advice/tricks of the trade you are willing to grasp.....fortunately, they LOVE the DIY guy. And plenty of pavers too.

I needed to expand my concrete patio when I decided on the old AGP. I considered the poured concrete option but 1.) I hate to sound paranoid, but I don't need or want strange people in my back yard. 2.) Have you seen what these people want for this stuff these days? I elected to do the paver thing and am glad I did. I was able to get a truck load at a time, take my time digging and building and everything came out great and price was right. Even had the kids out there digging so they at least have seen how to do this a couple of times now. They didn't particularly care to be doing the grunt work, but they sure like to emphasize the case that THEY helped put the big patio in that the nice pool sits on.

I haven't had to pull up any paver for repair work underneath, but I have pulled them up to add another electrical line or my favorite was to add a Cat5 line for a POE camera so we can monitor the pool for inside if needed. Can't do that with a solid concrete patio very easily!!

Bob E.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast