Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Convert pool heater from Propane to Natural Gas

1. Back To Top    #1

Manassas Park, VA

Convert pool heater from Propane to Natural Gas

I have an opportunity to buy a never been used Pentair Minimax Triton 400 BTU pool heater to replace may aging Pentair Minimax Triton 400 BTU pool heater. However the heater for sale is a propane heater and my current one is natural gas.

Any idea how difficult and expensive it would be to convert the propane heater to a natural gas heater? Would I be able to use the existing parts from my natural gas heater?
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Convert pool heater from Propane to Natural Gas

Studying the parts manual ... rMaxIG.pdf it looks like the burner and the gas valve need to be replaced. I'm betting the price of the used heater and the parts would cost close to what a new heater costs.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!