Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My tests versus Pinch a Penny tests

1. Back To Top    #1

My tests versus Pinch a Penny tests

Hello all, I am a new Pool owner here in beautiful Clearwater, FL. I have a Taylor K-2006 test kit, and my total Alkalinity comes out to 70( number of drops times 10 to achieve color change). When I take the same water sample to Pinch a Penny, the number comes out to 110. Why is there such a difference? I see they are using the same reagents I am. Has anyone else had this issue? My PH climbs about .2 per day if I keep the "Water Decent" off. I let it bounce to around 7.8 and throw a Pint of acid in about every 4 days or so. I assume this is Normal for a new Pool.

I have read the Getting started portion of this site. I am using the numbers that are posted here to maintain my SWG Pool.

My Pool is 10,000 gal, SWG, Quartz interior(Plaster?) with a Hayward 3 speed variable set to run about 7 hours a day to turn over the water twice. the Pool is only 2 months old. about an inch or so evaporation a week. Chlorine is maintaining at 2.6 and Pool is screened in. Cyanuric acid is around 60+. Calcium is around 390.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: My tests versus Pinch a Penny tests

Welcome to TFP.

When you're doing the TA test are you dropping drops until the last one makes no change and then not counting that last drop? If not, try it and see what value you get.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I'd say your situation is the norm. It's rare to have your test results match the pool store's. It's even rare to have the pool store agree with itself! inconsistency-in-readings-t61728.html

Trust your own results. Study Pool School. Don't obsess over TA. It's the least critical parameter.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the post. I count every drop I add. I am going to trust my test kit. Thanks for advice.

5. Back To Top    #5

Long Beach, CA

Just to reinforce what Bama said, you are not only looking for the color to change, but for the color to stop changing after adding more drops.

My TA testing always gives me a slight change from green when the test is nearing the end. Another drop will turn the test pink and another drop will turn the test hot pink. Once the test turns hot pink, adding more drops will not change the color any more. This is the end of the test and in my case, I read the TA as the number of drops that it took to reach that hot pink color times 10.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process