Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Making pool lights

1. Back To Top    #1

Making pool lights

My IG does not have provisions for lights nor is it worth the expense of digging and adding in some lights. I've tried a few different lights and well to be brutally honest...they all sucked.

So time to make my own. Was thinking of a couple of Naglene bottles with super bright LED strips and a simple remote to control on and off. I can simply hang one at each end off the jets and voila lights that are omi-directional.

http://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Tritan-Mo ... wide+mouth

Something like this...
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/flex ... -and-bars/

Anyone tried this? I'll order some parts and update as I go but looking for input or ideas...suggestions!

(current pool temp.... -12 LOL)
    16x32 Kidney Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Generator, Omnilogic, Tristar Vari Flo Sand Filter, Colour Logic LED, WFSD Waterfall, 250 BTU Millivolt, GVA-24 Valve Actuator TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool 1
    Pool 2
    my build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Making pool lights

It should work. The biggest problem you'll have is keeping the bottles sealed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

My only concern as well. There lids are pretty tight and would never be anyone messing with them...would be taking them out when I cover the pool it so not too worried but would be open to other suggestions.

I have the light strips figured out along with battery and remote enough to weigh them done and sink. I am just rethinking my bottle choice.
    16x32 Kidney Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Generator, Omnilogic, Tristar Vari Flo Sand Filter, Colour Logic LED, WFSD Waterfall, 250 BTU Millivolt, GVA-24 Valve Actuator TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool 1
    Pool 2
    my build

4. Back To Top    #4

Those Nalgene bottles are good bottles. If you us a good round cable and bore the hole so it's a tight fit and use a good bead of sealant on it, it should be fine and not leak.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Depending how deep it goes make sure the bottle does not crush with the pressure . Very interesting idea .
    7 meter by 2 Meter pebblecrete , VF intelliflo , Pentair ECO-CHLOR 25 , 5 helicol Sunx 40 solar panels & a Associated controls solar controller with an intellicom 3 to control the VF and relay to switch to valves .

6. Back To Top    #6

Nalgene bottles seal very good and will not crush at all! Iv'e used them for hiking and camping for years! Iv'e dropped full bottles off cliffs and they will not break.