Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shutting down waterfall pump during winter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dallas, TX

Shutting down waterfall pump during winter?

I have a jandy one speed speed pump that run the water fall features and a jandy variable speed pump that runs the filtration system. Currently, due to temperature in my area is lower than 32f. Both pumps have been running not stop (freeze protect). Just Want to get you guys thought on shutting down just the pump running the water feature to save on electricity. The plumbing line on the water feature pump seems to be separated from the main line. I don't want to totally close the pool since I have a spa which we use occasionally.

Any thought on shutting down (fully drain) just the water feature pump? Can that be programmed in the jandy rs4 controller?

13,500 Gunite with Pebble Tec Pool and Spa, Jandy 2hp Stealth epump, Jandy 1.25 hp pump for water feature and bubbles, Jandy CL 460, Polaris 280, DEL Eclipse, Jandy LRZ 400k TF100 Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Shutting down waterfall pump during winter?

If you can fully drain it I would say that it's safe to shut it down and drain it. I'd just cut power to it. I wouldn't want to depend on the programming to keep it from running dry.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Shutting down waterfall pump during winter?

You might consider draining the pad equipment too so you don't need to run the circulation pump. If the weather is that cold, you probably don't need to run the pump at all anyway.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner