New build in South Texas

martinkennedy

Platinum Supporter
Sep 8, 2013
It’s taken me awhile to start putting this together. We selected our PB and signed a contract at the end of July 2013. My wife Diane and myself started construction in South Texas on a infinity edge pool. It’s 39 feet long (does not include catch basin) and 27 feet at its widest point. The pool is over 1,000 sq./ft. We started the project in August of 2013 and expect to be done at the end of March 2014. Its a complete change to our backyard. The design includes multiple retaining walls because of the elevation changes that will be covered in stone, a sea wall and a out door kitchen using a Equinox (manufacture) pergola and multiple planting areas. The slats of the pergola open and close and is controlled by a remote. We are putting in an outdoor sound system with 12 speakers, a sub-woofer that actually get’s buried in the ground, a 55”Sunbrite TV that will work with our other outside TV and a complete lighting system to showcase the new landscaping. We will be replacing out wooden perimeter fences with a block stucco walls and ledger stone columns.
Hopefully the link to some pictures will work and you can see the progress. I will try at some point and post the pool studio video.

http://s814.photobucket.com/user/martin ... tures/pool

My favorite part (aside from the infinity edge) is the fact that the pool is partially above grade on the sides. I think the side patios will provide unique perspectives from which to view the pool. But to sum it up so far... :shock: It was fun not having concept drawings to look and to see it unfold in the slideshow.

I also appreciate the wilderness view on the other side of the body of water. Will that remain or could it be developed as well?

I hope the process is allowing you to retain some sanity. If not, it usually returns pretty quickly afterwards once you are swimming.

Our build went from February through May. I can appreciate the grade issues you're facing though, and it looks like you and the PB have planned well in your battle against gravity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bmoreswim, you mention the unique perspective from the patios. Did you notice on the video that on each side of the elevated part of the pool there are external water features that will create a mini waterfall over ledger stone on each external pool wall. The water will flow over pebbles and into drains that will take the water back into the catch basin. Has anyone seen this before? Should I have any concerns? I am having these walls as well as the infinity wall waterproofed on both sides.

http://s814.photobucket.com/user/martin ... RTIN/Video

I did not notice that. A great feature. I can't think of much negative due to that. The only thing that did pop into my head wouldn't apply unless there were freezing temps. That would be any propensity for rain/water trapped behind stones to want to pop them off. I'm sure waterproofing would work to ease that issue but you also have little to no freeze issues I'd think. At least not hard freezes. I also suppose scaling could be an issue where you have the water splashing and drying near the edges of the water falls. But that would just be a minor aesthetic issue if it even occurred.

The biggest issue could be that your guests may never want to leave. Causing you to turn on the guest evacuation sprinklers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.