Topping up a SWG pool

Dec 24, 2013
Does anybody have any tips on topping up a SWG pool for water lost due to evaporation?

Mine loses a truckload of water every week!

Is there a proper way to do it or do you just shove the hose in the pool and turn it on?

Do you need to run the chlorinator and pump for any period after adding the new water?

Thanks for your help folks!

Are you serious, a truck load a week ? That's not evaporation, that would be a leak. If your losing a truck load a week how have you been replacing it ?

Yes you can put the hose right in the pool. I would think your salt levels would be off also.

Yes you can run the pump after filling back up.

Sorry Jeff. Not actually a truckload. That's the Australian tendency for exaggeration coming through!

I lose about a tile height in evaporation a week.

The only reason I asked the question was because it occurred to me that I am adding fresh water that hasn't been treated yet to the pool, so I wasn't sure whether it was ok to just put the hose straight in the water, or whether you should add the new water via the skimmer box or something like that.

I noticed at a friend's house that he was adding water while the kids swam in the pool. I thought that might be unsafe but maybe it isn't.

No problem Mick. I enjoy joking around as much as anybody. I was just like wow, that's a lot of water.

Anyways, yes you can just put the hose in and let her go. Just make sure your salt levels stay ok and running pump like normal and you should be good.

You can always run a bucket test to check how much is lost to evaporation. Partially fill a bucket with pool water, mark the inside waterline, place it on the pool steps, then mark the outside waterline. Let the bucket sit undisturbed for at least 24 hours. After 24 hours mark the new water levels inside and outside the bucket. If the water loss outside the bucket is greater than inside the bucket that could indicate a leak in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it's not a leak as the water evaporates your measured salt level will actually go up (ppm due to being less water overall). Salt doesn't evaporate, but does lower due to splash out, and back washing.
The bucket test will reveal.
In the winter in Florida, it's our dry time and I'm adding water a couple times a month about 2-3 inches. (about 900 gallons)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.