Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Topping up a SWG pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Topping up a SWG pool

Does anybody have any tips on topping up a SWG pool for water lost due to evaporation?

Mine loses a truckload of water every week!

Is there a proper way to do it or do you just shove the hose in the pool and turn it on?

Do you need to run the chlorinator and pump for any period after adding the new water?

Thanks for your help folks!
    Michael
    60,000 litre pool (15,850 gallons)
    Cartridge filter, SWG pool.
    In ground pool, tiled concrete
    Viron P320 eVo pool pump, 300 litres/ minute

2. Back To Top    #2

Topping up a SWG pool

Are you serious, a truck load a week ? That's not evaporation, that would be a leak. If your losing a truck load a week how have you been replacing it ?

Yes you can put the hose right in the pool. I would think your salt levels would be off also.

Yes you can run the pump after filling back up.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Topping up a SWG pool

Sorry Jeff. Not actually a truckload. That's the Australian tendency for exaggeration coming through!

I lose about a tile height in evaporation a week.

The only reason I asked the question was because it occurred to me that I am adding fresh water that hasn't been treated yet to the pool, so I wasn't sure whether it was ok to just put the hose straight in the water, or whether you should add the new water via the skimmer box or something like that.

I noticed at a friend's house that he was adding water while the kids swam in the pool. I thought that might be unsafe but maybe it isn't.
    Michael

4. Back To Top    #4

Topping up a SWG pool

No problem Mick. I enjoy joking around as much as anybody. I was just like wow, that's a lot of water.

Anyways, yes you can just put the hose in and let her go. Just make sure your salt levels stay ok and running pump like normal and you should be good.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Jeff.

I'll get it checked for leaks just to make sure. It's only 4 months old but you never know.
    Michael

6. Back To Top    #6

Topping up a SWG pool

I think how you discribed it now it's probably evaporation.
    Jeff

7. Back To Top    #7

If by a "tile height" a week you mean 6 inches, that sounds like it could be a little much. If you don't know for sure, you might watch it closely and see what it really is.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

You can always run a bucket test to check how much is lost to evaporation. Partially fill a bucket with pool water, mark the inside waterline, place it on the pool steps, then mark the outside waterline. Let the bucket sit undisturbed for at least 24 hours. After 24 hours mark the new water levels inside and outside the bucket. If the water loss outside the bucket is greater than inside the bucket that could indicate a leak in the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Think you. What a great idea!
    Michael

10. Back To Top    #10

Here's a link to look at pool-school/leak_detection.
    Jeff

11. Back To Top    #11

If it's not a leak as the water evaporates your measured salt level will actually go up (ppm due to being less water overall). Salt doesn't evaporate, but does lower due to splash out, and back washing.
    The bucket test will reveal.
    In the winter in Florida, it's our dry time and I'm adding water a couple times a month about 2-3 inches. (about 900 gallons)
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

12. Back To Top    #12

Topping up a SWG pool

Good point bobo ! I think that was one of those very early morning Aussie questions and the brain wasn't fully functioning yet !!

Thanks for the back up !!
    Jeff