Hi from Canberra - Australia's Capital

Dec 30, 2013
Found the forum 3 weeks ago. This is the best way to look after a pool. History - bought a house 10 years ago with a pool - not my choice. Have spent hundreds of hours and way too much money looking after it ever since and struggled to keep it clear. It apparently won a design award when built 20 years ago but has overhanging gum tree and pines. Much debris in the pool each night and droppings from wildlife.

3 weeks ago started your process and within days it was crystal clear, and has been since - thank you so much. I can see what you mean about pool shop measurements. 2 weeks ago I though I would check how things were going and incredibly the salt measures were 10600 versus 2760, and TA 160 versus 91. Got my test kit and all is good. Built an aerator for $10 and have used around $10 in chemicals in 3 weeks with temps averaging over 30C - would normally be $30-$50 per week and the pool wouldn't be clear. And all the measurements have pretty much stabilised.

Very happy TFP member.

Mark
12k gallons or 45k litres, IG vinyl, sand filter, SWG, 1.5HP pump, 20yo

And a good tip, buy a decent leaf skimmer with fine sieve. This is the first year I have had one and have started sweeping all the debris to one end and then scooping it out - takes around 10 minutes in the afternoon. Looks vacuumed each time so only vacuum once a week versus 3 to 4 times a week before. And vacuuming with a sock instead of to waste. Really cant believe we have a fully usable pool now

Welcome, it is amazing how much of a different result you can have when you have accurate test data and well defined goal levels for the basic pool chemicals, instead of pool store dump a bottle of this expensive magic in a bottle in and come back for us to tell you what to buy again next week.

Ike