New Liner - Pool Full of Mud

Dec 29, 2013
Contractor installed a new vinyl liner. He neglected to pump the groundwater down. He said "the groundwater was coming in too fast for my pump". He installed a new liner with groundwater in the pool. My pool water is chocolate brown. My pool is full of mud with silty dirt all over the bottom. The filter system obviously is not going to get the dirt off the bottom. It would take months just to filter the water. What should he be doing to fix this? No, I haven't paid him yet.

I don't know that it would be groundwater for sure that made the water dirty. If we were to install the liner (even though we would pump the groundwater out first)....and there was still ground water coming in, the liner would be on top of it, with the exception of the cutting of the main drain hole. What was used to fill your pool? Municipal water, water trucked in, or well water?

City water. The same that we drink. As he was installing the liner, muddy water was coming up through the main drain on the bottom of the pool. His plan thus far is to run the pool filter and put a bag of shock treatment.

jimpimentel said:
City water. The same that we drink. As he was installing the liner, muddy water was coming up through the main drain on the bottom of the pool. His plan thus far is to run the pool filter and put a bag of shock treatment.
If muddy water is coming from the main drain as you say.
Either the liner is not sealed around the drain or even worse your drain could be cracked.
Where do you live? How long was your pool drained down for the liner replacement?
Did you have a heavy freeze?

Near Jacksonville Florida. No heavy freeze (it has been 50's and 60's). Pool was not even drained all the way down as best as I can tell. He did not pump very long. Was trying to get it done before Christmas. He did next door neighbor's pool a few years ago, no problems. He even remarked he knew (before he started) the groundwater was very high because of his experience next door, as opposed to another house in the neighborhood about 1/2 mile away which was dry. He pumped for maybe one day, with the end of the hose maybe 20 feet from the deep end dumping into my yard. Last time it was done, 12 years ago the guy had to pump for a week with two pumps, and set the end of the hose near the street. This guy put in a new drain cover. Obviously, with a pool full of muddy water (can't see even past a few inches) I have no idea what is going on in the pool, although I can see brown dirt on the bottom of my highest step. I ran my Tigershark filter unit through the pool, came up with brown mud. I backwash the filter, it puts out chocolate brown water. Should this guy drain the pool, clean the liner, and start again??

Is your pool holding water....any drop in the water level? Can you post pics? If there was enough dirty groundwater coming in to make the whole pool dirty, It would be nearly impossible to get a decent seal on that main drain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.