Installing Solar Heater on Roof

Dec 29, 2013
I am thinking of installing a rather large, 20'X20' solar pool heating panel on my flat roof. I calculate the load to be about 4.3 pounds per square foot. Do you think the added weight will be a problem?

Welcome to the forum. :wave: I think we have to start by finding out how strong your roof is. What type of construction? Wooden rafters? How far apart? What size are they? What is the span? What is the sheathing on the roof?

What he said, also 20x20 is an odd size for a solar panel, what sort are you considering, and it would probably be helpful if you share your location and pool information if we are to give any other beneficial advice.

Ike

p.s. Also that is a LOT of weight, the panels I have only have a wet weight density of 1.31 psi (or 64 pounds per 4x12 panel) These are Techno Solis brand panels which weigh considerably more than most brands do, for comparison some Aqua Therm 4x12's panels have a wet weight of only 48 pounds or 1.0 psi wet weight density.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.