How can i automate timing/actuation of my cleaner?

Dec 28, 2013
apollo beach,fl
Hi! new here , eyes a bit red from reading...

pumps and filters gave up the ghost so i'm redoing. Here's my question...previously i drove
a polaris 360 off the main pump, when pump ran, the cleaner ran

Now due to eliminating an old solar setup, i have much less pump requirements, previously ran 1 1/4 or so (can't recall atm) but latest calculations are that
a 3/4 pump will be adequate, that however doesn't take into account driving the polaris.

So choices are:
1) bigger pump to drive both
2) smaller pump + booster canceling out the energy savings of the lower pump.
3) VS programable pump that i can run at different speeds, i presume here i need to actuate a valve to a dedicated cleaner line. So I'd need to actuate the valve and program the pump to come on at a different speed at that time?
4) 3/4 pump and just go robotic cleaner (may be easier and cheaper now that i'm thinking of this) at 3/4 horse, the VS speed pump i'm calculating is requiring 5-6 year payback at current rates in my area.

But my main question so i can consider all of this is how do you set up 3? What's a simple timer/controller that is programable to run the valve to switch to the dedicated cleaner line? I assume the VS pumps don't do this (have some separate 24v output feature but i dunno...). I'm familiar with jandy actuators as my solar drove one, but i assume i need some kind of separate timer. So i'd have VS pump programmed for 2 separate schedules, recirculate or cleaner speeds. And a separate timer to kick over the jandy valve to a dedicated line....that way i could run lower speed in recirc mode, but higher if needed in cleaner position.

Thanks for any help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.